Flat tires

Al Downs

I have had a couple of flats and came up with a way to jack up the wheel when I am alone. I am now carrying my fix in the floor compartment all the time. There are a couple of pictures attached.

I made it from 3/4 square tube and welded a 9/16 bolt on the tip. It works very well. I insert the pin in hole on the back side of the wheel and rest one leg against the ground. I can then can lift one wing and the stand will rotate down and I can set the plane down. This leaves the tire elevated above the ground so I can remove and repair or replace the tire. When the tire is replaced, I simply roll the plane forward and the stand rotates putting the tire back on the ground.

This one weighs about 3 pounds. My next version will be aluminum to save some weight.

I also carry two allen wrenches for removing wheel pant screws but I will depend on the other tools needed being on location as they are common tools found in most hangars.

I have had a couple of flats and came up with a way to jack up the wheel when I am alone. I am now carrying my fix in the floor compartment all the time. There are a couple of pictures attached.

I made it from 3/4 square tube and welded a 9/16 bolt on the tip. It works very well. I insert the pin in hole on the back side of the wheel and rest one leg against the ground. I can then can lift one wing and the stand will rotate down and I can set the plane down. This leaves the tire elevated above the ground so I can remove and repair or replace the tire. When the tire is replaced, I simply roll the plane forward and the stand rotates putting the tire back on the ground.

This one weighs about 3 pounds. My next version will be aluminum to save some weight.

I also carry two allen wrenches for removing wheel pant screws but I will depend on the other tools needed being on location as they are common tools found in most hangars.

Don't know why the pics aren't here. It does show there are attachments. I will try the pics again.

post-535-0-23760300-1324348014_thumb.jpg

post-535-0-67433500-1324348034_thumb.jpg

I think they would work fine for wheel chocks. Just put around the tire with the pin up against the tire. For those that want the specs, I will put them on in the next couple of days. If you have the materials it is a quick easy project. I will try the chock idea out and leave a comment on how they work for that. Made from aluminum two could probably be carried for the weight of one.

Al

Well here is the drawing for the tire changing jig and wheel chock. I did try it as a wheel chock and it works fine. If you build one be sure to check the 7" and 9.5" on your airplane. I will be carrying 2 of these to use as wheel chocks on a regular basis.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Al Downs

**************The drawing says to use a 9/16" bolt. This is wrong. It is a 1/2" bolt************************* Sorry about the mistake.

post-535-0-62789900-1324593011_thumb.jpg

In addition to the device Al made, I'd like to consider a small scissors jack such as is used on small cars and fit it with a socket so I could use it with my 18V DeWalt drill. Has anyone seen such an idea? Would a drill turn it and raise the airplane, do you think?

Here's an example of one that would go as low as 3.5 inches. Is that low enough to get under a rod stuck in the axle?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305253_200305253

I have tried this a few years back. It will work just fine if the tires have air in them to keep the axle up. The large tires aren't an issue if flat, but it won't go under a small tire axle that is flat. This will work with just the jack alone under the axle knuckle, just don't shove the plane and knock it off.

The best one I have found for hangar use is the engine lift with the used tire on top and placed where the wing tie down support is located to lift the plane. A six foot ladder that has a pad on it works here too.

Rookie has a nice picture of the engine lift setup. Thanks for that idea Rookie it works great.

I suppose one could make an offset insert to put the jack under, if there is room behind. Might have to take the wheel pants off. What I envision is a rod shaped like a crank that goes in the axle. The offset side can be swung high and allow a higher jack to go under it. Like the letter Z, I suppose, only straight. Anyway, good info on the axle clearance and I'll have to measure that before I buy or build anything.

On Al's stand/chock. I wonder how it would work to put a 2 inch or so stud on each leg about an inch or two from the open end and pointing to the inside of the aircraft. Now, put a bar under the down leg stud and over the up leg stud and pry down, with the effect of rolling the stand so both legs were down.. I wonder if a person could use that method to swing the stand under the wheel? Have to have the plane roll to make it work, I'd think. Bar length and weight of operator would be major factors. I hope my description makes sense. It may be another thing to make the idea work. :)

I'm going to look for Rookie's engine lift idea. I'm looking for something like that and was considering ways to use a hydraulic ram ($65) and a stand to make it work, or a cherry picker, which I can get with an air over hydraulic setup for about $200. His idea may work better.

In addition to the device Al made, I'd like to consider a small scissors jack such as is used on small cars and fit it with a socket so I could use it with my 18V DeWalt drill. Has anyone seen such an idea? Would a drill turn it and raise the airplane, do you think?

Here's an example of one that would go as low as 3.5 inches. Is that low enough to get under a rod stuck in the axle?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305253_200305253

This is the one I use. Works great.

Al's idea uses a cherry picker which I'm quite familiar with and comfortable with. I'm quite confident that it would also lift at the wheel. For those of us with a hollow axle, put a rod in the axle and use a chain from the boom of the cherry picker to the rod and lift away. The one I have in my farm shop is air over hydraulic, so one can use the AC if one wishes. Thanks, Al. A good idea.

• 2 months later...

Hi Al,

I have just been reading all these posts and ideas others have had.

I am going to make a couple of these in Aluminum. I have a different idea as to how to raise the tire and plane using your design. I will let everyone know if it works.

Great idea.

Thanks,

Hi AL,

I have been at the airport looking at using your tire changing jig idea. I noticed that i have threads about 3/4 of an inch in to the axle your bolt is to go in to. I'm not sure how you would slide your unit on, lift the wing to let it slide in place with only 3/4 inch holding it up.

Is the hex bolt going to slide in past the threads? Maybe your model doesn't have the threads. Can i get some clarification on this?

Thank you,

After reading the discussion about jack stands in the CTFlyer Forums and reviewing the diagram one of the members posted, I designed my own for my CTLS. The jack stand pictured below is very strong and stable, being a triangle, and weighs 2 pounds (the one detailed in the CTFlyer Forum was 3 pounds). To set the stand, put the rod into the hole (the rod bottoms out at 2") then lift the wing. The triangle swings down into position (the rod is long enough to clear the nuts there). To get the plane off the stand, pull the plane forward and the teeth on the lower front edge of the triangle will bite into the ground (preventing the triangle from just sliding forward) and the triangle will rotate allowing the tire to drop onto the ground.

I don't know enough about the CTSW to know if this design would work with that model.

Gregg Solove

KAEG

Albuquerque, NM

post-560-0-00006500-1331382360_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-02811300-1331382367_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-60473400-1331382373_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-06819500-1331382380_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AL,

I have been at the airport looking at using your tire changing jig idea. I noticed that i have threads about 3/4 of an inch in to the axle your bolt is to go in to. I'm not sure how you would slide your unit on, lift the wing to let it slide in place with only 3/4 inch holding it up.

Is the hex bolt going to slide in past the threads? Maybe your model doesn't have the threads. Can i get some clarification on this?

Thank you,

Just saw your post sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I do not have threads on my bolt and it does go on much further than 3/4 of an inch. When it is all the way in it will rotate by gravity to the usable position by lifting up on the wing. It also doubles as a wheel chock. Could be you have something a little different than mine. My CTLS is a 2010 model.

Al

• 5 weeks later...

Gregg

I like your jack stand design. Could you post the dimensions? Length of each leg? Width of legs? Thickness of legs? Length of rod? Diameter of rod? I am tired of chocking up with wood blocks.

Greg Copeland

Madison, MS

KMBO[/font][/font]

Gregg

I like your jack stand design. Could you post the dimensions? Length of each leg? Width of legs? Thickness of legs? Length of rod? Diameter of rod? I am tired of chocking up with wood blocks.

Greg Copeland

Madison, MS

KMBO[/font][/font]

Hi Greg

It sure works good. There is a pdf drawing a little earlier in the post. Let me know if you can't find it and I will send you a copy.

• 5 years later...

I made a similar swing-down stand in about 15 minutes using a piece of 2 x 8 wood, and a 1/2" bolt.  Put a couple of fender washers on either side of the wood, and tighten the nut. Not as elegant as the welded steel assembly, but it works exactly the same way.  

Archived