Headset Audio with GoPro 2 Camera

NC Bill

The camera itself has an external mic plug. However, you need to use the skeleton case (which has cutout for the jack) or drill a hole in the waterproof case. Then you'll need an adapter cable that inserts itself between your headset jacks like this. Of course, modern headsets often have mini-rca input/output built into them.

Unfortunately, this only works if you are mounting the camera inside, somewhere near you.

I have used a method of recording audio that is simple and cheap, and works where the camera audio won't (like when it's mounted outside!). Just take a little, cheap, dictation recorder (like this), and an external microphone (like this). Put the tiny microphone bud inside your headset-earcup. Voila, simple good audio. The audio track is just added to the video editing project, and synced to the action. You could probably record the audio using any smartphone (with external mic), too.

Or you could just plug the external microphone into the GoPro, and put the little foam bud inside your headset cup.

tim

I use mine with the adapter mentioned above. If you want to put the camera near the windscreen, you will need to pick up an extension cable. I got mine from Radio Shack. You do need to drill the hole in the case but it really works well.

• 5 months later...

I started looking at the Hero3 on Amazon, but there are more bad reviews that good. Sounds like they have issues with quality control and the battery life is very short (30 min.). This has gotten more complicated than it started out. Looks like I will be buying locally to make sure exchanging it will be easier. Any thoughts on Hero3 or 2? I'm not concerned about the cost, but 1/2 hr. of recording time is not good.

Battery time is contingent on a bunch of things, including what resolution you are shooting at, temperature, wifi & remote use, and even if you are connected to your smartphone/table. Some folks are reporting upwards of two hours. You could always find a Hero2... things were simpler then. As it turns out, all the wifi hoohaw and remote controls are nice, but not needed.

tim

Archived