Rotax magnetic plug check and 5 year rubber parts

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Here is a page out of the Rotax manual on what to look for on the magnetic oil plug that is required to be checked every oil change. It should be in the logbook as checked and hopefully clean.

See attached.

Here is the Rotax mandatory 5 year replacement rubber parts info. The 2005 CT's are due this year and early next year and the 2006 CT's are due in 2011 and bleed over into 2012..

Seer attached.

Rotax magnetic plug check.pdf

Rotax 5 year Rubber component change.PDF

• 2 months later...

I had posted a list on another part of the forum with a few of the items that need to be replaced along with prices.

Fuel lines, incuding your fuel pump depending on Pump Part Number

Oil lines, not sure if they have to be supplied by FD or if a substitute can be used that meets the specs

Carb flanges (dont forget to order the o-rings with them)

Carb diaphrams (more cost effective to just buy the rebuild kit)

Water hose, sold by the Meter purchased only from Rotax

Gotta put in a sanity check here. I rushed out and ordered and then waited 9 months to get the oil pressure relief "kit". This cost me around $100 for parts and will cost an hour's time for a Rotax approved mechanic to install. What will I accomplish with this? I don't have an oil pressure problem and installation of these parts won't help me with warranty because I'm well past this. If I ever sell my CTSW, it may (may) be a good selling point that my engine is up to date with all Rotax required parts? I don't intend to sell my plane for a long time and most probably my estate will have to deal with it after my passing. Now, what about the rubber parts replacement? Is there REALLY a need to replace the hoses after 5 years? Recall that all of these components, including carburetor rubber, is inspected each 100 hours. I am not an expert on Rotax and so I have to assume that the rubber parts will have deteriorated sufficiently in 5 years that they will need replacement. Or, is there evidence that a "more thorough" annual inspection of these parts, which would include detachment of oil and water hoses to inspect them, may be sufficient to insure that I am OK not replacing them?

If there was a choice as to where these parts could be obtained, maybe this requirement might be a little easier to accept. I see that I can buy a aftermarket VDO oil pressure sender for around $30 compared to the Rotax sender which is in the $200+ range. I'm trying to brace myself for the cost of new rubber when the time comes next year to replace parts but I'm sure that I will still be surprised by the cost. Of course, there will probably be the wait for parts. It is understood that flying is an expensive sport and all owners know that it is their responsibility to insure that they maintain their aircraft in a condition for safe flight. If my CTSW truely needs new rubber, then I'll pony up with the money and do it. I'm just not 100% sure that it is "carte blanche" required and think that a "condition inspection", at least for a couple more years of TIS, would be a consideration. I welcome forum comments.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This is just a reminder that all 2005 CT's and any Rotax engine plane was due for the 5 year rubber parts replacement in 2010. It is mandatory for SLSA's and the ELSA's people should do it, too. In 2011 all the 2006 aircraft will need this done. An estimated cost will be some where in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000. The reason for this large disparity is that these are just now being done by different mechanics and no one has a really good handle on all the parts and time. Parts will be close to $700-$900 and about 16-20 hrs. of labor. It includes all rubber parts and hoses on the engine including the carbs and engine isolator mounts. The engine needs to come off the firewall to give access, too. When you come in for your 100 hr. or annual plan on having the plane at the shop for another 2.5 days on top of the annual. I'm posting this so it won't be a big surprise and you can budget for it. When we get a better handle on the cost I'll update this post.

Sorry guys for this news, but we are all in the same boat for this one. You don't want a hose failure while flying. This happened to one of our CT friends with an oil line and the cost was the entire engine.

Roger is a litte optimistic in his price estimate. Parts are over $2,000. Here is an estimate of what it will take. I could have missed something, but I think it is pretty close. Parts prices are Flight design list price, from the Lockwood 2010-2011 catalog, or aircraft spruce. The exceptions are where I estimated prices and the Oetiker clamps came from Grainger in bags of 100. This is for a CTSW Dynon equipt airplane. The fuel hose is enough to replace behind the instrument panel and do the wing roots. The fire sleeve will be re-used if it is in good shape. Remember shop rates vary, and they have to mark up the parts. I would expect the total cost to be around $3,500.00

Estimate for Rotax 5 year hose replacement. Shown is my cost on labor, and list or published price for parts.

Labor 20 hours. I get $50.00 hr. $1,000.00

Parts from Flight design USA

16 C9997739 Fiat silent blocks $177.76

1 meter C9993186A large coolant hose $45.47

4 meter C9993184A hose, fuel $192.44

1 C9997792D oil hose. (you will need more if oil thermostat is installed.) $108.05

1 meter C9993183 hose vapor return to gascolator. Flight design did not have this, but there was a piece included in the firewall blanket upgrade. $45.00 estimated

Parts from Rotax

1 892-546 fuel pump assy. Includes isolator. $536.69

2 861-115 Carb. Diaphragms $95.04x2 $190.08

2 267-789 Carb. Flanges $107.45x2 $214.90

2 230-300 o-rings $6.63x2 $13.26

2 956-141 balance tube connector (I had to order 1 meter of

956-140) $70.78 meter

2 meter 922-250 coolant hose $61.10x2 $122.20

1 922-192 90deg. Water tube $53.00

2 230-910 O-ring, intake. You have to pull the 2-4 side intake to get to the coolant hose. $11.94x2 $23.88

1 881-920 rocker gasket set (You have to do pressure purge.) $66.99

5 950-143 copper gaskets fuel banjo fittings $4.81x5 $24.05

2 430-622 banjo fitting oil $2.51x5 $5.02

1 Rotax oil filter $23.92

Misc. parts other sources

25 Band-it clamps $1.70x25 $42.50

15 4E573 Oetiker clamps $.50 $7.50

5 4E571 Oetiker clamps $.50 $2.50

4 foot ¼” aeroquip hose for fuel pressure $4.30x4 $17.20

3 foot Aeroduct-12 3” Ceet Ducting for imtakes $8.95x3 $26.85

4 Quarts oil of your choice. The system will be completely dry and it will take more than 3 quarts. $40.00

1 Gallon coolant your choice $12.00

Locktite, Blue and purple. $8.00

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the parts list. There has only been 1-2 of these done so no one had any real handle on parts. I haven't done one yet, but after Jan. it will be my time in the bucket.

Why the fuel pump? I know what Rotax says about the attached hoses, but everyone just removes the ferrules and uses an Oetiker clamp on the new hose. The fuel pump itself could be kept in place and just do the hoses.

Hi John,

Just because you get an ELSA doesn't mean these things go away, it just means you are going to ignore them and hope you never have a problem. I know you are not like that or want to be another statistic for the NTSB.

These things don't all happen at the same time. They are at least a year apart for the hoses and chute and the 1000 hr. prop issue is even longer down the road for most.

Just be glad you aren't flipping the bill for one of your helicopters.

The list seems to cover everything, if anything I think Tom is being generous on the labor estimate considering most fbos have higher shop rates. The fuel pump itself Is required to be replaced although I do believe this is probably excessive. Talking with the rotax engineers in person you really get feel that they are truly looking out for your saftey and this tends to lead to more frequent inspections and replacement requirments for criticial parts.

• 2 months later...

Roger, Tom Baker, others.....this thread has not had an entry to update since November.

Tom Baker, you have entered a very complete list of parts needed to carry out the replacement but it appears that your input may have been "tentative" and waiting for more actual experience doing the replacments? Have you, or others, had recent experience doing a rubber replacement which may provide us with an update to the parts and / or labor required to carry this replacement out? Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue, I really appreciate it.

Side note, I sent Flight Design an email note asking if they have put together a list of parts required for this rubber replacment and, as of yet, have not received a reply.

Hi All,

I have a list of parts. First let me say that you do not need to order a specific part from FD with its part number that comes from Germany. FD does substitute some parts here stateside. They are having a little problem getting some hose and have been looking stateside for the mm sizes. CPS has been gracious enough to compile the entire parts list. They can supply everything except the rubber Fiat engine mounts specific to FD and the clamps for the hose. Some hoses i.e. the coolant hoses can use screw clamps and some hoses will need band clamps like Otiker's. A couple things not on the list, but you may want to consider is the 2 x 3" Ceet air intake tubing (Aircraft Spruce), 2 carb bowl gaskets (CPS). These two items are inexpensive and it would be good to do. The other variable is whether you have the stainless steel fuel lines on top of your engine that feed each carb. Those don't need replacement, but if you have the red rubber fuel assembly lines to each carb those are another $338 hence the difference in cost on the parts sheet.

The cost of the kit is $1000 to $1300. So far. Let me explain because it may get just a few dollars less. I just set this up and I'm going to do my own plane. I did order a couple of extra feet hose for the first one just to make sure I did not run out in the middle of my job. I will fine tune the hose length side in a week or two. We aren't talking $300 here, but it should come down some. This list was compiled off of Airtime's, Tom B, and CPS parts list for an actual rubber replacement on a CT.

If you have not done your firewall blanket get it done now or forever hold your peace when you have to pull the engine the second time.

If you need the rubber replacement and an inspection you may want to plan 5-6 days at the mechanic's shop. 3 days for the rubber replacement and a couple more for the inspection. It might be better to drop the plane of one weekend and pick it back up the next.

The 2005 CT's should have done the rubber replacement in 2010, they should have the fire wall blanket done and the 2005's have the parachute this year. Plan ahead on the parachutes as that may take 2-3 weeks and cost around $1000-$1100.

PLAN AHEAD

Spread your maint. out so it doesn't have to be all at one time, so it doesn't hit the pocketbook all at once. You can do things early and not wait to the last minute.

It would behoove you to let me do mine and fine tune the list first.

For right now if you want the parts list you need to email me and I'll send it to you.

Roger, Jeremy and Tom B. (and any others I may have missed) it is really good news for all of us that you are figuring this out. This will save a CT owner many $$'s by your input here. Roger, there's no reason for someone to not wait for you to go thru your replacement and report out what you end up with. Not sure if there will be a unique list for those CT owners with the thermostats for oil and water lines? These will be coming in following years on the later built CTSW's and CTLS's. I'm thinking that that there will just be extra bulk water and oil hose material required with the thermostat systems? Also, we are talking about 2005 and 2006 CT's here that are now 5 and 6 years old. I will be getting my carbs cleaned and rebuilt during this teardown and all rubber parts pertaining to this area will be taken care of.

Has anyone gotten any input from FD?

Hi Dick,

Your right that the thermostat CT's will only require a little more hose. Right now I think the only thing that might be off on my kit is a little extra hose because I didn't want to run out in the middle of doing my plane the first time. Rebuilding the carbs here is not a bad idea, but it would cost a little more and you already have the carbs off. It will be up to each individual and it isn't required. If you do a carb rebuild I would get the kit from CPS it is more complete than the other distributors. If you get the carb kit from CPS then you would not have to order the carb diaphragms separately in hose the hose kit.

Hi Roger

in your list,,there is:

4 meter C9993184A hose, fuel $192.44

this is a 7.5 mm ID rubber hose [ Wurth RPK is the brand ]

$192 for 13' of fuel hose that's ......$14.75/foot don't you think we can find a equivalent product locally for a price that make sense.

I'm doing the hose exchange right now [ along with firewall blanket,fuel filter, engine ..etc ] and I think that importing rubber hose from Germany ( at a prohibitive price ) is just illogical .

I'm thinking of using 5/16'' (7.9 mm) Aeroquip 303-6.

your thoughts

thanks

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

That's not my list. I'm not buying any hose from FD, all is coming from CPS. I'm only getting the Fiat engine mounts from FD. I believe you could use the 5/16" = 7.9mm without any issue. Just make sure you do a good job on clamping.

The 5/16" hose should work fine from the fuel valve to the engine. I think you will find that you need the 7.5mm from the wing tanks to the valve. The 5/16" hose is just to loose on those fittings. For example the "Y" fitting that goes through the firewall when stuck in the 5/16" hose will almost fall out under its own weight. this is using the Gates hose supplied with the Rotax fuel pump. No way would there be any sealing ability without a clamp. That is to loose for me. I'm not sure how far back into the airframe you need to meet the requirements for Rotax, but after seeing the condition of all the other hoses at just under 5 years I think every hose should be replaced. Tom

Hi Jacques,

That's not my list. I'm not buying any hose from FD, all is coming from CPS. I'm only getting the Fiat engine mounts from FD. I believe you could use the 5/16" = 7.9mm without any issue. Just make sure you do a good job on clamping.

oups..you're right..that was Tom's list.

Tom..I'get some 5/16 hose tomorrow and let you know

or I might (hopefully) get some 7.5mm locally

and the ~5'' hoses below the fuel gauge ...no way to change them without damaging the interior ...what a shame..

oups..you're right..that was Tom's list.

Tom..I'get some 5/16 hose tomorrow and let you know

or I might (hopefully) get some 7.5mm locally

and the ~5'' hoses below the fuel gauge ...no way to change them without damaging the interior ...what a shame..

Ther is a way to change them with out damage. You have to remove the wing, but beyond that it's not to bad. You can loosen the Oetiker clamp with a small pick or screw driver and slide the hose off. Cut your new piece of hose and install a screw type clamp like is used on the wing end of the hose. I used a twist action ratchet with a screw driver bit to tighten the clamp. This would also be a good time to change sight tubes and do the wing inspection. Tom

Archived