Handheld Radios

7JD

All:

I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced handheld radios. I say reasonable even though I know that's ambiguous. I plan on using this radio mostly in place of liveatc.net on my iPhone (for enjoyment purposes) and also as a backup in case I run into problems with a unit installed in the aircraft.

Thanks.

My experience is limited, but here it is for what it's worth.

1. handheld radios are usually lower in power output. It helps to use a longer whip antenna or add a connection to an existing installed antenna.

2. It seems to take two hands to do much. One to hold, one to push buttons or turn knobs. Your panel mount radio takes one hand, usually. Let's say in a worst case scenario you inadvertently got into low visibility, maybe even IMC, maybe near dark, and you lost power. You are scared and perhaps disoriented. You have to hold the stick with one hand since you don't have power for AP. Sure, you hope you can trim it up so it flies straight and level hands off......Now, power on the hand held, set the volume, change channels, push to talk and hold it to your ear. (Take your headset off). This is no fun. If you have a non-flying passenger, you have that distraction to address. This might suggest you get one that can plug into your headset and one that has as many one-hand controls and setups as possible. And, if it's dark, you may have to hold the radio up close to your eyes to see what you are doing - oops, I let go of the stick.

3. The batteries always seem to run out. If you get an alkaline battery pack, look and see the transmitting power. 0.5 watt, maybe? Not much. How do you recharge the fancy batteries? Look at the book. Some say you'll destroy them if you leave them on unattended, so you have to buy a timer.

4. Form factor is a big issue. Little radios look cute, but they have little buttons, little displays, little batteries. Where is your big fat finger mashing while you are in the dark in turbulence?

I've used an icom A-6 in my glider. That is a pretty benign environment. It's still a nuisance. I have a Yaesu VX-5 dual band amateur radio. The menu is so convoluted that I program it with a computer, and if you don't uses it often, you can get lost in it or even worse, render it unusable.

If I look for a handheld, it will be:

Simple

Powerful

Intuitive

One-handed (or as nearly so as possible)

Easily rechargeable

I haven't found one yet. Aviation Consumer had a review of radios in the last couple of years. Maybe someone can report that pubs conclusions.

My two cents... I have owned the Icom's and Yahoo's (Yaesu's)... If the purpose is for around the hangar, around the airport, in the car, at the coffee shop than I'd recommend one of the Icom's or Yaesu's due to compact size and decent performance. (I use an Icom A24 but unless you use it frequently remembering how to use its various functions can be a bit challenging) If the purpose is in the plane as a true backup com then I'd prefer the Sporty's (simple, no nonsense, big display, easy operation).

http://www.sportys.c...p/product/14807

I have an older version of the Sporty's radio (SP-200). At the time that I bought it I was flying rental planes in Class C airspace.

I agree with Mr. Meade about the antenna. I bought a three foot BNC cable from Radio Shack and put the antenna on the end that. This made for a definite improvement in reception.

I also bought the extra battery back and found that I could switch battery packs while still flying the plane (CAVU WX). I also bought the headset adaptor and can't imagine using a handheld in the plane without one.

I never had much (any?) success with the navigation feature. But, VOR's are going the way of the doodoo bird.

I've got a VXA-300 (Vertex Standard). This is small and water resistant and has a large Lithium battery that runs for hours. It seems to have good range. My CT has an aux. exterior antenna with BNC coax connection on the panel for the handheld. This gives extended range. I carry a push-to-talk cable with a button that can be velcro attached to the stick and this runs the radio thru my headset. Also carry a 7.2V NiMH spare battery.

I've got a VXA-300 (Vertex Standard). This is small and water resistant and has a large Lithium battery that runs for hours. It seems to have good range. My CT has an aux. exterior antenna with BNC coax connection on the panel for the handheld. This gives extended range. I carry a push-to-talk cable with a button that can be velcro attached to the stick and this runs the radio thru my headset. Also carry a 7.2V NiMH spare battery.

Sounds like a nice setup! Are you running as an experimental or did the CT used to have that feature? I have often thought that offering a second com would be a nice purchase option for FD to offer. In Southern CA you can go on a short flight and need to change frequency's many times. Having 2 com's (4 frequencies loaded) would ease workload.

There are some CT's with two coms.

That was and has been the problem getting LOA's over the years. So many people want so many different things that FD has no way to keep up or test everything owners wanted, so they started to limit what was done. CT's that came in had avionic shops add equipment when they first arrived that wasn't factory installed so now we see issues, wiring and variances we have never seen before.

Like Dick H (Runtoeat), I also have a Vertex Standard portable radio. I like the Vertex. It is physically robust and the rechargeable battery is long lived. The operation menu is a bit fussy, which is a weakness. Regardless, having owned it for five years, I am pleased with it and would get another if I lost this one.

I was holding my breath waiting for the question.....my extra antenna was installed and was approved previously to my purchase of the plane. I would not try to get this approved now however, there can be a case made that the 2nd radio would improve safety and get the LOA because of this? As Roger aptly points out, some of the older CT's have interesting history's. :ph34r:

FredG, yeah, gotta pull the manual every time I want to "tweak" a setting. That's a pain but once it's set up, it works well.

Adam, I think new handhelds might be OK without ext. antenna? The new digital radios seem pretty good for distances. Thinking some may have higher watt outputs than others? I'll try to do this and let you know.

Tim, your comments jogged my memory and I recall buying the radio because it was built by an established company. Rich, good info. Hope this new one is built as good as your older one. I'm wondering if you have operated your radio while flying and withi it connected thru your headset but without external antenna? If so, how does it perform? Thanks to both of you for the info.

RTE,

Yes, I used it in my Challenger II, LSS clipped wing with the headset adaptor, rubber duck antenna, Danalli ANR headset and a PTT switch. It worked well in that noisy enviornment until I bought the Lynx system, with external antenna, which woked much better.

Now I use it mainly for ATIS, AWOS ect. and have my headset adaptor ready for use if the panel mount fails.

Rich

I have the SP-400 with headset adapter. It works fine 10 miles out from my airport and picks up VORs 30-40mi away and I really like thew ILS feature which also works quite well. It will drain the battery pack though even when off so remove it when not in use. I also made a cig lighter cable for it

Yaesu (Vertex) and Icom are both fine companies. As an Amateur Radio Operator of over 30 years and a life member of the ARRL I have owned at least a dozen of each. People will fall into camps and defend their choice of manufacturer vigorously. (Kind of like how we love our CT's) At the end of the day, a person needs to hold these radios in their hands, define what the purpose of the radio is and choose what fits their mission! Whatever radio you choose, make sure you know how to use it well. The worst time to learn is when you are in flight with a dead com in the panel and a higher than normal stress level! Might be a good idea when in the pattern at your favorite local towered airport to actually switch off that main com and use the backup radio to make sure your backup plan works!

If I look for a handheld, it will be:

Simple

Powerful

Intuitive

One-handed (or as nearly so as possible)

Easily rechargeable

I haven't found one yet. Aviation Consumer had a review of radios in the last couple of years. Maybe someone can report that pubs conclusions.

This is what Aviation Consumer said:

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/ytb/best-aviation-products-2011.html

(mind you they said it a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure no one has introduced a new model since)

BEST VHF Portable Radio: Sporty’s SP-400

The portable VHF radio market used to be much bigger than it is now, but there are still plenty of radios to pick from. And the top pick, according to our comparison trials, is Sporty’s SP-400, a follow-on to its popular and top-selling SP-200, a first- class radio in its own right.

The SP-400 has some impressive features you might never use—such as localizer capability and VOR reception—but it also has an excellent two-way radio with good RF and audio performance.

By our standards, these meet the primary requirements for a portable VHF, which is good performance as a backup radio and for use on the ground.

At $299, the SP-400 is competitive with other radios but delivers more for the buck. Check out the SP-400 at www.sportys.com.

Yaesu (Vertex) and Icom are both fine companies. As an Amateur Radio Operator of over 30 years and a life member of the ARRL I have owned at least a dozen of each. People will fall into camps and defend their choice of manufacturer vigorously. (Kind of like how we love our CT's) At the end of the day, a person needs to hold these radios in their hands, define what the purpose of the radio is and choose what fits their mission! Whatever radio you choose, make sure you know how to use it well. The worst time to learn is when you are in flight with a dead com in the panel and a higher than normal stress level! Might be a good idea when in the pattern at your favorite local towered airport to actually switch off that main com and use the backup radio to make sure your backup plan works!

Another well thought out and expressed opinion by Adam.

Good advice.

The Vertex Standard FTA 310 (replaces my VXA 300 Pilot III) has a $25 rebate. The newer radio appears to have a standard BNC antenna connection compared to the mini BNC on my radio. This makes it easier to connect aux. antenna. It looks like the headset patch cord is also included?

http://www.mypilotst...tstore/sep/9113.

I love my Yaesu/Vertex, but wish they would use a Lithium Ion battery instead of the NiMh. Because of the self-discharge characteristics, you have to remember to recharge it before using. If you let it set a few weeks, you'll find little battery left. Specs indicate NiMh batteries lose about 4% of the charge every day. I keep an extra alkaline battery tray in the plane, loaded with Lithium Ion AAs.

tim

If you have a lemo plug headset is there any chance there is an adapter that allows you to plug into a handheld in case of radio failure? (By the way a nice feature of the Jubilee edition (possibly it comes this way in all new CT's) is that it comes wth dual GA plugs as well as Lemo plugs. I was not expecting that in an LSA plane. In fact I'm not sure I would expect that in a new 172.)

Archived