LS gas caps

Tip

Has anyone solved the gas cap issues on the LS? Since switching over to ethanol, my caps are hard to open / closes. And, I get gas streaks back the wing and on to the flaps. An owner on the other forum replaced the caps and still has the same problem.

You can tighten up the nut in the gas cap to shorten the throw of the gas cap latch. It doesn't take much, and too much will require Hercules to twist it closed. So try and find the sweet spot. Changing the packing will help as well. Aircraft Spruce sells the caps and packings.

To get the fuel stains off your wing, just use some denatured alcohol. It wipes clean quite quickly and won't hurt the composite. Wipe it down with some soap and water and your good to go.

Here is another trick, Ethenol makes rubber components swell up for some reason (like packings and the carb diaphrams). Buy a set of packings for your gas cap and install them. You may see that the new ones are a little smaller. Don't throw the old ones away. If they are in serviceable condition, just set them on the bench for 2-3 days and they will return to their original size. Weird huh???

Has anyone solved the gas cap issues on the LS? Since switching over to ethanol, my caps are hard to open / closes. And, I get gas streaks back the wing and on to the flaps. An owner on the other forum replaced the caps and still have the same problem.

I had that problem, too, until I found ethanol-free fuel.

Hey Tip, the marina in Conneaut Lake PA where I buy fuel for my boat sent out a notice that they will be unable to obtain/sell ethanol-free gas this summer. Is this a Pennsylvania thing? Has PA regulated it out of existence or is it just a supplier issue? I have three places locally here in SC where I can buy ethanol-free-91-octane (sold primarily for boaters) and none of them have plans to stop selling it.

I had that problem, too, until I found ethanol-free fuel.

Hey Tip, the marina in Conneaut Lake PA where I buy fuel for my boat sent out a notice that they will be unable to obtain/sell ethanol-free gas this summer. Is this a Pennsylvania thing? Has PA regulated it out of existence or is it just a supplier issue? I have three places locally here in SC where I can buy ethanol-free-91-octane (sold primarily for boaters) and none of them have plans to stop selling it.

My understanding is it's a state or distributor thing. Some states, for example Minnesota, mandate a certain percentage of ethanol in at least the auto fuel. Other states, such as Iowa, have no requirement. But in Iowa, the decision to add ethanol is made by the distributor at the "rack". It is possible to buy non-ethanol autogas in Iowa but as an individual you might have to buy a large amount, like 300 gallons or more, to get a wholesaler to bother with it.

If I were in your shoes and wanted to know, I'd ask the marina if it was a PA state law to put ethanol in boat gas or if he couldn't get pure gas from the distributor. I'd bet it's the latter. And if it's the latter, maybe there is nothing that can be done or maybe the distributor could provide it but figures it's not worth the trouble or costs too much.

I had this problem until I switched to Viton. From my old post:

I run E10 almost exclusively. Can't say I've seen any problems except the gas cap o-rings. It's also worth changing the fuel filter every 100hrs instead of 200hrs I think. Could have just been age, but anyway I replaced them with VITON style rings:

Product ID: ov-75-222

Product Name: Fluorocarbon 222 Size O-ring

Quantity: 2

Unit Price: $0.64

from http://www.superiorseals.com/

Pretty solid now.

Randy,

PA switched to mandatory ethanol September 20, 2010. I have a friend that has a Kit Fox that is frantically looking for ethanol free and will travel to get it. I noticed the gas cap issue after only one fill up.

Kurt,

Thanks for the lead, that's what I was looking for. One FD service center rep said to replace the caps but new caps will do the same thing.

Does anyone have the dimensions for the O-rings for the LS gas cap made by SPRL. The overall diameter and cross section width in inches?

Has anyone solved the gas cap issues on the LS? Since switching over to ethanol, my caps are hard to open / closes. And, I get gas streaks back the wing and on to the flaps. An owner on the other forum replaced the caps and still have the same problem.

Look at Flight Design MFG. Approval No. 081027. Easy to do and completely solved my LS fuel cap problems.

PRW

• 1 year later...

Has anyone solved the gas cap issues on the LS? Since switching over to ethanol, my caps are hard to open / closes. And, I get gas streaks back the wing and on to the flaps. An owner on the other forum replaced the caps and still has the same problem.

hello,, yes,, i have that problem time to time,,, streaks of gas can you explain this too me,, & why??

thank you

mike g

drchum@comcast.net

Archived