Winter operation

Jim Meade

I recently flew from Denver to eastern Iowa. The flight was initially in the clear at 7500, then 5500, then under a deck at 3,000. OAC in the clear was 3C and under the deck -3C. Oil temperature initially was about 175F, and under the deck got down to 150F. As a side note, the cabin temps with the heater wide open were a bit cooler than comfortable. I checked today and the cabin temp control does seem to be moving the flap properly.

I have an oil thermostat I intend to install this winter when I do some other work. My impression is it will bring the oil up to about 190F where it is safe to operate, as in warming for takeoff, but it will not by itself really keep the oil at 200F or over where some would prefer to see it run. Comments on those two temps are welcome.

If the oil thermostat is not the only or best answer, is air restriction an option? How large an air dam should be installed, where and how is it fastened on?

Hi Jim,

Like most of us do, put that 2" wide aluminum tape across the top part of the radiator. That should be enough. If not add another piece down another 1".

As far as cabin heat. I can fly my plane on zero temps with only long pants and a short sleeve shirt and may still have to close the heater some. First I put clear plastic tape over the holes above your head. All of them including the fuel site tubes. Then tape over the back side of the wing spare pins. Then put a little foam in the front wing spare pin space. Now get some 3/8" wide soft foam insulation with one sticky side from the hardware store. Put this all the way around the door edge right next to our rubber door trim. Run it on the outside of the rubber trim edge. Once the cabin is completely sealed it is very warm and can sometimes get too hot. The key is to seal up the cabin.

I don't think the thermostat is going to help. My LS has the thermostat and I don't see much above 180 F when air temps are below 40 F except at Vx climb. I have to use the tape for anything near 190 F in cruise (5000 - 5100 RPM). I also worry about the thermostat failing when air temps are warm.

PRW

the warm air comes from the shroud around the muffler. This is NOT related with oil or water (heads) temperature.

As Roger said, first you have to seal the cabin to keep that warm air inside...but....you may have the same problem I had ..which was the heater air box not opening enough. It was blocked by some kind of material (looks like rubber or plastic) and the ''flap'' couldn't open all the way. I think I was losing maybe 50% of air flow.

On another note, some people don't seems to tolerate the cold and some can take more. It's a question of metabolism and...OK.. I won't say it

:P

post-112-0-06726100-1322537796_thumb.jpg

Another thing to check is the trim on the heater outlet at your feet. My 2006 CTSW outlet does not have the chrome diverter that my friend's CTLS has but only a piece of trim with an open hole. The hot air duct was not connected to this trim correctly and was basically blowing hot air inside the console and not out into the cabin. I realigned the ducting and adjusted the trim to get full hot air flow out of the hole. BIG difference.

Hi John,

The shutter blocks too much air. The only air that gets through is at the holes and the rest of the radiator is blocked. If you lived where it was zero or lower 8-10 months of the year that might work out well, but the restricted air space around the holes blocks too much air flow for more normal days.

p.s.

Why aren't you down here yet. We have CT's coming out our ears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another thing to check is the trim on the heater outlet at your feet. My 2006 CTSW outlet does not have the chrome diverter that my friend's CTLS has but only a piece of trim with an open hole. The hot air duct was not connected to this trim correctly and was basically blowing hot air inside the console and not out into the cabin. I realigned the ducting and adjusted the trim to get full hot air flow out of the hole. BIG difference.

• 1 month later...

On my Zenith, it's easier to tape the bottom of my oil radiator than the top. Does it matter?

J Beachy

The easiest thing for me was to create insertable styrofoam pads (as shown below) to fit into the opening in front of the radiator. They go in and come out in seconds with no mess or gummy tape residue. I have various sizes of these based on ground temperature. I have 40 degree, 30 degree, and 20 & less degree blocks. The width of the block depends on the air temperature. All blocks are cut from 2 inch thick styrofoam. Through trial and error I now have them sized just wide enough to block enough incoming air to get my oil temperature up to 190 degrees.

post-408-0-31024100-1333576884_thumb.jpg

Hey Dick, I picked up 2 of the heat defusers for the foot board heater holes. It really made a difference in heat disbursment. It doesn't just heat the heck out of my right foot any more. :)

mike,

Can you post up a pic of the diffusers and where you got them?

Chris

I'll get a picture up when I go to the hangar today...you'll really like them...no more hot foot, for you or your passenger :) When I bought mine in late '09 they were like $60.00 for both, not sure on cost now of course, but at $115.00 they are still nice to have. My heater is on all summer in mornings and evenings, and unless I head south in the summer it's on at altitude at times too.

Archived