Fire extinquisher

Jim Meade

An "A" rated extinguisher is only for class A materials like paper and wood, ect... It is usually just water and isn't meant for flammable liquids or electrical fires (B-C). There are some extinguishers that say A-B-C. While knocking down flames it is always best to have something that will bring the ignition temp of the material down below its burning point. No vapor production usually means no burning.

You need an extinguisher that says at least B-C and I prefer 5 B-C. I think after 30 years of firefighting experience ()Retired) that 2.5 B-C is too small.

There is no fire extinquisher in my plane, and I wonder if there ever was. Is the one you refer to mounted or loose or in a pocket or how is it secured?

If I have to put one in, I will put one where I can reach it with my harness on.

I noted the LOA on the other FE which we can use so I will take a look at that.

There is no fire extinquisher in my plane, and I wonder if there ever was. Is the one you refer to mounted or loose or in a pocket or how is it secured?

If I have to put one in, I will put one where I can reach it with my harness on.

I noted the LOA on the other FE which we can use so I will take a look at that.

Jim, the original goes in a pouch on the back of the passenger seat.

If you carry a passenger the extinguisher is required. You should have one in all US CT's. I don't like mine behind the seat. Too hard to get too. Mine is in the passenger foot-well and it's a 5 b-c and not a 2.5 b-c.

Why is it required? I have one but did not realize that there was a "requirement". What is it?

Ernie

I don't think I'll put it in either footwell compartment. They tend to be used for other things, as well, including required papers, and if I need a fire extinquisher I don't want to have to lean over and dig it out of whatever pile of stuff is crammed in there. I'm not sure where I'll put it.

The foot well is an excellent place to put it. It accepts the slightly larger 5 B-C and the most important aspect is it is quickly available. You can move other things out of the foot well. I store other things in with the extinguisher, the foot well does not need to be empty. It can still hold other things.

How do you envision using the extinquisher in the plane? Dash fire? Fire wall fire? Under panel fire? What is going to burn, how will it get started, can you put it out with the fire extinquisher?

The reason I'm asking is:

1. Do we need one so we don't burn up?

2. Do we need one legally (that question is still open and so far I think the answer is no)

3. What kind (type) do we need and how big must it be?

If I need one, maybe I'll think of mounting it in the baggage compartment with a lanyard like the BRS trigger and have a long nozzle in the cabin to direct where I need it.

Go ahead, laugh - my questions remain as to what the function of the device is because that informs us on the other questions.

Sorry to "start over" but it seemed like a good time to review the bidding.

Part 91 of the FARs does not require that light-piston GA aircraft carry fire extinguishers, although they are required in commercial operations, for large(more than 12,500 pounds) and turbine-powered multiengine airplanes and in transport-category aircraft.

But FD does require it and that locks you in. SLSA is not GA. It belongs in the cockpit when installed. All Ct's came with a fire extinguisher unless someone took it out.

The key to any fire is to knock it down asap. Putting it in the baggage compartment negates that function and it is there for your personal protection. An electrical fire could catch the fuel lines in the instrument panel on fire and your done without some help. Why not just spend the $15 and put it in? It's for your personal protection and the aircraft's. If you have been to as many engine fires as I have over the last 30 years as a firefighter you wouldn't be without one.

Where does FD require it? (And I'm ELSA, anyway, so it doesn't apply to me).

I bought my CTSW used, but a fellow CTSW owner looked at my seat back today and confirmed there is no pocket there. He has the taller seat back and has a pocket. As far as I can tell, there was never a fire extinquisher in the plane I bought. The previous owner was a bit anal about that sort of thing and I'd be surprised if one had come with the plane and he didn't include it.

My comment about putting one in the baggage compartment was clearly stated. I see no reason why a fire extinquisher with a hose on it couldn't be mounted anywhere and still direct the foam where it needs to go. Not that I'm all that serious about doing it that way.

I think we're is getting into the realm of personal preferences so I'm not going to beat a dead horse about where I would or would not put the device, as it's been clearly stated.

Jim, did your airplane come from LSA North originally? I know they had a couple airplanes with low back cloth seats done up in leather by some one local. If this is one of those airplanes then the holder for the extinguisher might not have been put in. Also if the cover or whole seat was replaced it might of had a left installed in the right side. Tom

Without sounding too dramatic, I'd like to explain why I have a fire extinguisher.

If the engine quits, for any reason; I'll pick a clearing within glide, land and walk away. If the engine quits over unlandable terrain; I’ll pull the chute and walk away. If I have a major electrical malfunction; I'll find an airport, land and walk away. If I have a catastrophic control failure; I'll pull the chute and walk away. If I have a structural failure: I'll pull the chute and walk away. If I’m in IFR conditions and low on fuel, I’ll pull the chute and walk away.

If I have a fire; I can't pull the chute. I’ll dive for the ground and hope to hold the flames off with the fire extinguisher long enough to get clear of the plane. Without the extinguisher, I'm dead.

Mike

Archived