Ipad question

kentuckynet

I guess it depends on the mission. If your true primary navigation/map is the panel mounted x86 and the iPhone/iPad is only for backup (and regulatory chart currency), then stick with the iPhone. The iPhone 5 display is much larger than the the x86 and 5xx Garmins anyway. If you use your iPhone/iPad as more than a backup and is more integral to your flying, then go with the Mini.

Also may want to consider if you need a larger device for other non-aviation purposes when you get to your destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm quite tempted to take my own advice. I've been using my iPad 1 for 2 years for current charts and GPS backup with no complaints. I'm now upgrading my panel to include a 795 with a GDL-39 (ADS-B in) which gives me a very nice 7" display. Full VFR data, including sectionals, is only $99/year.

My iPad 1 is probably less than 6 months from becoming an orphan and it'll be less likely to run newer apps.

I have an iPhone 5 which I've been using as backup for shorter flights. I had originally defaulted that I'd replace the iPad 1 with a mini or 4th Gen iPad. Now, I'm not so sure. I really don't use the iPad other than situational awareness. A 7" 795 will handle that task now.

Only concern would be on-the-ground flight planning away from the plane when traveling. Hmm.....

BTW -- the GDL-39 will act as a WAAS gps for Foreflight connected via Bluetooth. It sends weather and traffic to an iPad running Garmin Pilot.

• 4 weeks later...

207WF,

One of the features I liked about an iPad (and 7" or larger tablets) was the situational awareness one had with a 'big' screen. The 396/496 and 5xx Garmins lacked the right size for this. Now that I've installed a 795, I have little need (want is another story :) ) for an iPad of any size. I have an iPhone 5 with Foreflight (probably to be replaced by Garmin Pilot for consistency) as a backup for emergencies along with relatively current WACs. I'm very comfortable with this set up and have more than enough redundancy/backup for a safe flight.

The iPad still travels with me but will spend most of it's time in the baggage area (within reach) and will be used primary outside of the cockpit (personal use, preflight planning, manuals and such).

I have an iPad3 and iPad mini.... For me the mini is perfect. I just clip it on my standard kneeboard and works great. It is so much lighter than the ipad3 and just seems to fit better. I use the mini much more than I ever used my iPad which I have to say surprised me since usually I want a bigger screen not smaller. On another note most carriers now offer data sharing between multiple devices and for $10 per month can add iPad or two... Have both fore flight and Garmin both good just use fore flight more since seems easier.

Archived