5 gal. jug setup to fuel your plane

Roger, that certainly looks neat as long as the tank will hold the total 5 gallons. How does he control the flow when the tank fills so that it doesn't run over. It looks like he has a valve on the can and at also at the end of the plastic tube. I can't figure out why there are two valves??

Can yo shed some light on that issue?

Larry

Hi Roger,

Yes I see that but the only way I have of knowing when the tank is getting up to the top (full)is to be on the ladder and monitor the level coming up in the tank to shut it off before it overflows. It does not look like he has to monitor that in his setup because he is not looking at it from above. Do you think that the gas can stops emptying when the tank becomes full because there is not any more air able to get back into the can?

Larry

OK that makes sense. I will look forward to seeing it in person.

I will take some pictures of the thing that I bought from Northern Equipment that works pretty good and then I will post it.

Good ideas that get passed back and forth on this Forum.

Larry

The neatest way I have seen to refuel a high wing is the system fitted standard on the Storche FS. They have cut the main line & fitted a T, a new line

goes to the bottom of the fuse, & an electric pump has been fitted, there is a tap & a push on connection which just protrudes through the bottom of the fuse.

Refuel is simply a short lenght of rubber hose from the tap to the can that stays on the floor , turn on the pump, open the valve & the pump self primes ,

pumps the fuel & when the can is empty the pump tells you with a different noise when it stops pumping. Its not super quick but no lifting & there is plenty of

time to check as it fills. This is ideal for Australia when we drop into country strips & have to go to the local service station for fuel. A few of my friends

have also bought the colapsable "bladders " which take up very little space in the plane, all you need is the bladder & that 3ft of rubber hose.

How would we get an approval for that Roger.

Merry Xmas to you all from Aus.

Just tightly clamp a hose to the bottom of the gascolator, put the fuel valve to ON and pump it uphill. I have no idea how you'd control which tank it fill first. I suppose you could put a non-vented cap on one tank till the other was full, then switch the cap. Don't forget to put a vented cap on both tanks before flying. I also have no doubt you'd get funny looks and no FAA approval. :)

207WF, I do the same, but admit that 5 gallons is about the weight limit I want to hold up very long and also I'm a little antsy about letting anything hang on/in the fuel port as I've seen examples of Cessna tanks that were damaged by a nozzle hanging on them. Probably just paranoid on my part. If I had the extra cash, I'd have a setup like Roger described.

That's quite a contraption! How is that plastic valve holding up? We use five gallon gerry cans with a similar spout and valve. The plastic inline valves froze almost right away (melted by the fuel?) and were replaced with brass. BTW we lay them on the top of the wing on a small wooden platform with ridged foam feet. Works fine but the last half gallon drains quite slowly.

• 1 month later...

207WF, I do the same, but admit that 5 gallons is about the weight limit I want to hold up very long and also I'm a little antsy about letting anything hang on/in the fuel port as I've seen examples of Cessna tanks that were damaged by a nozzle hanging on them. Probably just paranoid on my part. If I had the extra cash, I'd have a setup like Roger described.

What about the 5 gal. Tuff Jug like Kurt uses. I love mine. Empties fast and will stop when tank is full.

Those Tuff Jugs look good but I just bought 3 of the Blitz (5 gal) with the spill proof spout with shipping for less than one of the Tuff Jugs. Got them from Amazon.

Shipping Method: Standard

Items: 3-5 Gal $32.94

Shipping & Handling: $13.70

------

Total Before Tax: $46.64

To make life easier Ace has a steel washer that fits over the spout and then a rubber one over that so that when you gas up the spout rests easily on the fuel neck on in the wing. The spout shuts off when full too like the Tuff Jug.

Larry

Archived