New fuel pump drain hose

BMcCand - N248CT

I've replaced the fuel pump with the new 893-114 type, which has a drain fitting. Where are people routing the

drain hose?

I've considered straight down to behind the radiator & oil cooler. However, I can envision fuel spewing backward

over a hot engine and causing a fire. I think fire sleeve is required.

Another route is under the 1 & 3 cylinders on the right, and back to the large engine frame.

So, what have people done? Is there an LOA for this, is LOA required ? I think no LOA since

FD says follow Rotax, and Rotax says replace the pump at 5 yr if it has integral hoses.

Thanks, Bill Mc.

Hi Bill,

No LOA is required since Rotax doesn't even sell the old pump any more. This is the only pump you can buy now. No fire sleeve should be required for a drain hose. You can route it any way you want, but should be away from hot spots like the exhaust tube and then down to the bottom of the cowl.

One route: Back up along the coolant hoses under cyl. 3&4 to the engine mount then down to the bottom of the cowl. Do not place it out in the air stream. Use wire ties to hold it in place along its route and don't tighten them to the point of pinching off the tubing.

Take the plane out and test run it up to 5000 rpm and check the fuel pressure, it should be 5.8 psi max or below. If it is more than that send it back under warranty and get another one. They had some that produced to much pressure in the beginning and there could be a few still out there.

Thanks, Roger.

I'll route that tube today, do a carb balance, and then sign off the logs. 5yr is almost done.

Now to get in queue for chute repack. I have a spreadsheet for dates.

There are reasons I wish I had a D120.... like now with a new pump. I could add a temporary analog gauge.

I did that once at Corning while debugging a rough engine problem. That was ultimately carb contamination

from flaky floats. Again, having a D120 with separate EGT would have been nice while understanding

the rough engine in flight. Is it $2400 +installation of nice .... hard call. But knowing things that may cause

damage to an $18,000 engine is also good.

I did get the CPS special price on the pump that Jeremy noted. So the new folks (Kevin) are helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a CTLS and  I followed the Rotax recommendation to install a new fuel pump. To make a long story short it was a mini fiasco. It took four tries by two competent shops - one near Seattle the other in Las Vegas - names omitted.  Finally, after a couple of months, I have a new fuel pump. But now I am getting a "High Fuel Pressure" alarm on my Dynon EMS.  This occurs when I throttle back for descent and at low idle speeds after landing. When the alarm set off, the readout on my Dynon EMS was 6.0 psi. The mechanic who installed it said to recalibrate my Dynon EMS so that it won't set of the high fuel pressure alarm. This sounds a little dicey. Any ideas?

I have a CTLS and  I followed the Rotax recommendation to install a new fuel pump. To make a long story short it was a mini fiasco. It took four tries by two competent shops - one near Seattle the other in Las Vegas - names omitted.  Finally, after a couple of months, I have a new fuel pump. But now I am getting a "High Fuel Pressure" alarm on my Dynon EMS.  This occurs when I throttle back for descent and at low idle speeds after landing. When the alarm set off, the readout on my Dynon EMS was 6.0 psi. The mechanic who installed it said to recalibrate my Dynon EMS so that it won't set of the high fuel pressure alarm. This sounds a little dicey. Any ideas?

I was talking to my friend with a StingSport this afternoon and he had exactly the same thing happen. His would go up to 6.2 psi and alarm. On final. He had the mechanic put the old pump back on and return the new one.

I was talking to my friend with a StingSport this afternoon and he had exactly the same thing happen. His would go up to 6.2 psi and alarm. On final. He had the mechanic put the old pump back on and return the new one.

I and two friends have also replaced the fuel pump on the Rotax 912 in the RV-12. After the initial installation, all of us noticed higher than expected fuel pressures near 6 psig. After a few hours, (call it a break-in period). all of our pressures are now near 4.5 psig. A datapoint.

Thanks for your replies fellow CT Fliers! I had heard that there is a break-in period for the new fuel pumps. I just might keep my eye on the fuel pressure and see if that works out. I sent an email to my mechanic in the greater Seattle area saying that my Dynon EMS registers 6.0 psi - vs. the 5.8 limit. I said I am concerend that there could be fuel leaks and a subsequent engine fire. His reply to my email is below. He is a good guy and I am leaving his name out of it. I don't necessarily disagree with what he says. I would, however, like to see something official from Rotax saying this slightly higher PSI is OK. My mechanic says to reset the Dynon EMS to set off the alarm at a higher PSI. This reminds me of when I was taking flying lessons and my instructor told me to get back up or down to the altitude he wanted. Rather than making all the effort to climb or descend to the proper altitude, I would just twist the knob on the altimeter. Problem solved!

Darryl

==========================

Hi Darryl,

Unless the fuel pressure gets over 7 or 8 psi and you are in extreme

turbulence there is no way fuel would exit the carbs. Even with extremely

high fuel pressure the excess fuel would dump into the intake manifold

causing a very rich mixture but not overflow unless maybe you were inverted.

In the event of a overflow because of a carb failure there is a drip tray

under each carb with a drain line out the bottom so the chance of a fire

because of high fuel pressure is nil. I have never heard of an in flight

engine fire on a Rotax engine.

As I explained the fuel pump has been tested and certified at 5.8 psi. That

is the maximum this fuel pump is capable of putting out. What you are seeing

is the tolerance deviation with your Dynon. The pump is actually putting out

5.8 psi which is still in range but the Dynon is recording 6 psi which sets

off the caution alarm. We will reset the tolerance on your Dynon to 6 and

that should take care if the issue. That should take about 5 minutes next

time you're in the area.

Signed Darryl's mechanic - Name omitted on this forum.

Hi Darryl,

5.8 is the Rotax max, but 6 should be acceptable and the diaphragm may relax and the pressure come down a little with time (maybe). The other issue is many of the fuel pressure senders are anywhere from .3 to .8 psi off. When you turn the plane on the next time and before you turn the key take a look at the fuel pressure and see if it is zero. Many have a small reading just sitting.

Throwing in my 2 cents. My oil pressure reading is almost 20psi low on my analog gage. Installation of a mechanical oil pressure gage showed the pressure to be 20psi higher than the gage reading. The Dynon is digital but it still relies on the oil and fuel senders to transmit pressure data. I would go with the mechanic's logic in that the new fuel pump is not going over the max pressure of 5.8psi and the higher indicated at the Dynon is the downstream variances. Or, as others have suggested, the fuel pump is at the top end of it's limit during the break-in period. There are tolerances to all things manufactured and I would imagine that top end 3 sigma pressure may be 6.0psi for a pump that is manufactured to be a max. of 5.8psi. The best way to definitively determine pressure would be to install a mechanical gage in the fuel line.

I just talked to Dave Armando on the phone. He is a tech advisor at Flight Design Connecticut. He said that fuel pressure of 6.2 or even a 6.4 psi is fine. The carbs are tested up to 14.0 psi. He said that it is OK to adjust-up my Dynon EMS so the high fuel pressure alarm doesn't go off when it surpasses 5.8. Also, he said that higher fuel pressure is generally a good thing.

Darryl Swenson

Seattle WA

CTLS N172LM

Hi Darryl,

I believe you got incorrect advice. I have talked directly to Rotax on this. Rotax thinks they will hold up to 6.2 and maybe a tad higher and there is a reason why Rotax set the max limit at 5.8 psi. Each carb will be a tad different , depending if the float level is set correctly and if the needle valve with an internal spring is fully up to par as to what it's final pressure hold will be. The carbs will puke fuel out the vent tubes and the engine will run like trash from flooding. . Why do you think everyone else in the industry has been sending the carbs back. Rotax distributors built a special test station for new or returned carbs and why do you think Rotax has admitted to intermittent high fuel pressure issues and are covering all of them under warranty. For me I wouldn't run one in my personal plane over 6.0 and then I would have to prove that it wasn't flooding. A slight change in pressure at 6 during a flight and your flooding. I'll be in Rotax school Feb. 14-23 and I'm sure this will be a hot topic.

Hi Darryl,

High fuel pressure can occur at anytime. Rotax recommends with each new fuel pump that you test them up to 5000 rpm. Flooding won't shut the engine down, but it will run rough. Depending on where a person had his fuel vent lines it could present a risk. If fuel flows onto the hot exhaust it usually evaps so fast it isn't a problem. I have seen many a CT with carb float bowls leaks and it drips into the drip tray then down very close to or on, depending on how bad the leak is, right on the hot exhaust. I have seen many a client come into my shop with live fuel in the drip trays.

As far as Rotax operating or mechanical parameters goes always trust the manuals unless they have published something different in writing. Sometimes there may be a fudge factor and sometimes not.

Archived