Mushroom didn't make the boat

Jim Meade

ARgh! Just got an email from Mat at FDUSA that the LS Skyview mushroom I'd ordered was not on the last container they received. They have to ask FD in Das Vaterland when it will ship. I'd hoped to be rebuilding my panel over the winter. I can't take time off when I need to be planting corn. I guess I fly like it is for now.

JIM

Since you cannot work on airplane and weather may prevent flying on some days, perhaps you can help us, we are planting research corn TODAY? All the Majors Monsanto, Pioneer, Synenta have farms within two miles of my farms for winter corn breeding projects.

Larry

Jim, I don't want to sound too negative but don't stay up late and leave the light on for the delivery guy to deliver the mushroom from Germany. You might have a veerrrrrryyyy long wait based on my experience trying to get parts from FD Germany.

Jim

I am a transplant from Michigan about 40 years ago. I did lived in Muscatine on the river in 1967 working on a project for Heinz. I was a corn, soybean and pop corn grower is the early seventies. I now grow vegtable crops year round on seven sections, all drip tube irrigated. We plant, harvest, care for crop 365 days a year. Tomato, Banana, Bell Pepper, cabbage, cucumber, onion, watermelons, etc, etc. We are a family farm. I come to the Farm Progess show in Ames some years. We farm on two islands, Molokai and Oahu. The main farm has fields with 30 feet of Pearl Harbor on some US Navy land. I would love to meet one day and swaps stories about the trials of trying to make a living in this business. I am new to the Flight Design family, have bought my first one this past July.

Larry Jefts

Larry,

I've never been to Molokai, but lived on Oahu when I was stationed at Schofield Barracks from 69-70. At first, I lived on SB but then I moved to Glenn Yarbroughs house right on the North Shore in the Dillingham direction from Haleiwa. I think my address was Mokoleiwa. I learned to surf right off my beach. I also learned to scuba dive in Hawaii. We used to go to the Chinese market on Hotel street and buy kimchi by the gallon jar and I remember buying maguro sashimi for $3 a pound.

My next door neighbor was an AF LTC who kept a C172 at Dillingham. He, his wife, his daughter and his SIL flew each day from Dillingham to Honolulu to work, school, etc. It sure beat the drive over the top of the island. He had a Breezy that he used to fly right down the beach just offshore from the palms. I used to gape in awe and envy at it.

I was at Pohakaloa on Hawaii for two weeks for a training deployment. It's weird to have to break ice off the water bucket in Hawaii. I was serving with the activated Hawaiian National Guard, so we had many locals and while on that tour they got permission to take a rifle out into the impact area and killed a wild hog which they cooked in a pit the old way. It's the best pork I've ever eaten.

One of the things I still remember is how much I enjoyed seeing Sumo bouts on TV. (I served a year in Japan in 1963-64 and then got my BA in Japanese, which I can't use any more.)

I'm sure you'll like the FD. Will they let you fly it between islands?

If you ever get to the Farm Progress show be sure and let me know and we'll get together. I can barely imagine how it must be to farm in Hawaii. One thing I remember is all the pests and bugs that were around all year round.

Jim

Small world I have a field directly behind the Dillingham airport, it would have been in Sugar Cane when you were here. All Sugar is gone from Oahu since 1996. I have another field next to the Scholdield range for the 155's cannons. Boom as day long sometimes. I have a daughter and her husband stastioned in Sasebo, Japan today. They have been posted to Pearl in June, grandmother is very happy. My son who is in the business, has a new 172 and flys betrween the island these days. I sold the 337 and stop flying for a couple of years, but the bug was to great. Out new CTLS is going to be based at KVGT for now, but this past summer I based out of KSUS and my wife and I made it to 26 States, on a six week flying trip, that included Oshkosh in late July. We were in Bar Harbor and Catalina Island and points in between. I am currently pleading my case for a second CTLS to bring to Hawaii. All I get is something like "seems excessive to me" from my better half. Still I am not yet giving up. Not everyone who is stationed in Hawaii has a much fun as you did. Many miss the local culture, which is Hawaii best kept secret.

Larry

Larry,

So you were based out of Spirit last summer - I've been in there many times in the Citations and King Airs and even a few times in the T210. It's not that far from here, so if you get back, for sure give me a holler and we'll get together. I've never been in to KgVT but have been into McCarren once.

I really liked Hawaii and melded a little into the native culture as far as a Haole can. I like fishheads and rice, I guess. Yes, there was a lot of sugar on Oahu when I was there. Pineapples, too. Don't you need an excuse to get back to the mainland to look at machinery or something?

If I ever get back to Oahu, I hope to get back to Dillingham and take some glider rides. It must be fun catching the sea breezes.

I take it you took the LS on your trip? Any particular tips you have to offer on that kind of flying? I've had my SW to Tampa and Denver and back from eastern Iowa and expect to fly it to Seattle this summer.

How long was your daughter in Sasebo? I never got that far south. I was stationed at Misawa AFB on the very northern part of the main island Honshu and learned Japanese (from bar girls) with an accent that got me laughed at in Tokyo. It's kind of like a foreigner learning to speak English like a Georgia redneck and going to New York. Shoot, I didn't care. The yen was 360 to the dollar and reel to reel tape recorders and other stereo stuff was cheap as dirt and were the very rage.

I have to say, I guess with shame, that I never went to the Punchbowl or the Arizona monuments and think I was on Pearl only to visit the BX. I'm sure you will enjoy having your daughter and grandchildren nearby.

Larry,

BTW,. I fly gliders out of Muscatine. I have an LP-49, which is an old, transition glider that is not high performance but is fun for now. If I win the lotto, I'll buy a nice self-launcher but for now I'll stay with the one I have.

I'm sure it's quite different from 40 years ago. There are a lot of pivots there. It's no longer the truck garden of Iowa, but it does grow a lot of vegetables and melons. Bandag (now Bridgestone), HON and a few other big companies are there so the airport is quite big and nice but still quiet enough that we can soar without too much interference.

Archived