It's an FAA Regulation.

The regs are in the FAR's it's just people don't read past a sentence that sounds good or into sub sections after they find what they thought was their answer. LSA has some of the same regs as the older GA FAR's, but it has a few new and different things that only pertain to LSA. The info is there and many of the members here are up on them so just ask. You can find other enlightened people to on other forums. There are a few rules that are a little gray, but they are being worked on and changed as the LSA community develops.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I am new here. After reading through this - twice. I am left with the impression that there are LSA rules outside of the FAR. Am I correct in this, and if so, where are they to be found?

[i am also left with the impression that when it comes to legal issues talking to the FAA is like talking to the IRS - no one can give you a difinitiive answer that they can be held to leaving the only real answer - "talk to your lawyer"...who in turn will give an opinion an there is no solid answer unless you bring legal action. Sad.]

Not Quite. There are no rules outside of the FARs but the FARs can and do point elsewhere for compliance criteria. Specifically they defer to two things: the Aircraft Operating Instructions and any Sevice Directives the manufacturer has issued. That is not really different from GA except that the LSA manufacturer does not need to go through the FAA to issue these documents as do GA manufactrers. The comparison to the IRS is spot on.

I made the much more narrow point that those are the only two specific areas where the FARs point outside their own documentation. Nothing else external to the FARs has any regulatory teeth. You can acutally cover the entire regulatory framework for LSA by reading through FAR part 91. It's not duanting, just boring and you have to get used to reading legaleze. The gist is that all regs are intended to be terribly explicit and mostly describes prohibitions not allowances. In other words, the FARs don't say W is allowed given X condition. They read: W is NOT allowed unless X,Y,Z conditions are met.

There is more discussion of this sort or regulatory reading with the IFR thread back here http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/81-ct-to-elsa/page__st__20

Archived