Safety Wiring

DocRon

I've always liked an aircraft oil filter that I'm sure would not work itself loose over time. My current filters do not have a way/place to attach safety wire to it. I'm told that the new Rotax oil filters don't either. My proposal is to place a small hose clamp around the base of the oil filter and safety wire it to the magnetic plug, which does accept safety wire. This appears (to me) to be a safe, inexpensive, and dual purpose solution to keep things tight.

I wrote to Flight Design's John Gilmore on this and he had another gentleman write back to me to say that this probably wasn't a good idea as it wasn't specifically authorized by Rotax. Personally, I don't see a problem by doing so and do see a benefit. I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on this idea. Thanks very much.

I don't like the lack of safety wire either. I put a dot of torque paint on the filter and a second one directly across from it on the bracket. Part of my cowl-off inspection is to make sure the two dots are aligned.

If you install a Rotax filter the right way it will not work loose. Matter of fact it will take a wrench to get it off. If anyone told me their's worked loose then I would have to say it wasn't on correctly. Rotax has been doing it this way since late 1989 without any issues when done properly. The only history of Rotax filters coming loose (all they do then is leak a little oil) is when owners or mechanics put them on improperly. Rotax has an SB and video out on how to install an oil filter. Everyone should either read the SB or watch the video. Bottom line; screw it on until it makes contact then rotate it another 270 degrees or 3/4 turn. This can't be done with your hand so if that's how you are doing it you may be a little on the loose side. Do not use a rubber strap oil filter wrench on the oil filter canister as you can crush it or poke a hole in it. You can use a oil filter wrench that looks like a wide mouth set of channel locks, but care must be taken to only contact the inner steel ring at the base of the filter. The pliers jaws will absolutely punch a hole in the filter skin. I have seen 1-2 people use the clamp and safety wire method, but it isn't necessary. There's a million (?) Rotax engines around and only a few with a safety wire and clamp and all those oil filters aren't coming loose.

Well Guys,

Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice. I haven't changed the oil yet but it looks simple. My oil changes have just happened to be around annual time or dead of winter when I just don't want to do it at zero degrees or below. So, when the time comes, I will yield to better judgement!

On the one hand, this sounds like something I'd consider. That's probably because of decades of installing safety wire on myriad Lycomings and Continentals. It's imprinted in my brain that aircraft oil filters need to be safety wired.

On the other hand, similar experience with dozens of cars and motorcycles seems to indicate that in practice a properly torqued oil filter isn't going anywhere. I've never had one come loose, and have rarely heard of such. As Roger said, if the oil filter ever falls off your Camry (or ROTAX) it's a sure sign it was never tightened properly.

Still, I appreciate the "belt and suspenders" mentality, esp. as pertains to something so critical.

I guess I would still be alert for unintended consequences.

IOW, the filter was not designed to be clamped, so I would keep the clamp only very lightly tightened. And to avoid the possibility of dissimilar metal corrosion (very unlikely, but just sayin') I'd put a strip of rubber between the clamp and the filter.

All probably totally unnecessary, but if it makes you feel more secure, I don't see much downside.

Hi Tom,

The Tempest filter doesn't have all the new changes in the Rotax filter now.

The filters I'm using don't have all the changes either because there old stock. The Tempest does have some features that Rotax doesn't have as well, but I'm still not going to use them because they are not approved.

Like Roger, I have changed a gozillion rotax oil filters and I have never seen one come anywhere close to being loose.

The only problem I have ever seen is when they get over tightened, big NO-NO.

Safety wire and clamp are not approved and not needed, just follow the MM and/or the instructions on the filter itself. You'll be just fine.

• 3 months later...
Guest alonzomerrill

As per my think, your proposal is in a right way and it is more safety way for you. You can use hose clamp around the base of the oil filter and safety wire but you should understand that it is not approved by Rotax.

Stripping the threads, warping the canister, causing an anti drain back valve seal distortion and the most common, which I just had, is you can't hardly get the darn thing off. I used a pair of oil filter pliers and another used a set of large channel lock pliers at the same time and we still almost didn't get it off. There is no need to over tighten our filters they won't come off. Screw it on until it makes contact and then 3/4 turn more.

Roger,

I have to admit I am skeptical about stripping threads and warping the canister. I know a person who tightens them too tight (not me). They don't leak or malfunction to notice. They are hard to remove.

Tell me more about the drain back valve seal. This is the kind of issue I was curious about. How does overtightening cause this as specifically, what does it do?

Archived