New oil thermostat

Roger Lee

Time for show and tell, just like kindergarten. huh.gif

Here is a picture of a brand new oil thermostat that mounts right on top of the oil cooler and actually gets rid of about 2 lbs of weight compared to the old oil thermostat. This screws right into the oil ports on the oil cooler. A lot less hose too. I have heard rumor that the oil temp may be higher than the old Perma Cool oil thermostat of only 180F. I don't have any specs yet or a price so for now just enjoy the picture. I'll let you know the rest when I find out.

Nice job Franz. (oil cooler Mfg)

p.s.

Notice the clear hose line sweeping from the top left to the bottom right. I know this is a new Rotax engine because that line is from the new style fuel pump drain.

post-3-0-12501000-1327459436_thumb.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.franz-aircraft.de/Rotax/schmiersystem-sz.htm

Cost 200 Euro, which is about $262. Maybe the ease of installation will keep the price in line with the one we've seen with the hoses running all over.

Why do you say you can't get them in the U.S.?

I'd like to see some testimonials and if it looks good I'll have my German friends ship me one. I'm glad you pointed this out before I installed the familiar version.

Interesting discussion about the oil thermostat but if I may, I would like to go back to Tad's post regarding hose kinking of the hose that runs from the oil pump, turns 180 degrees and then goes to the cooler. After replacing my hoses, I was suspect of this hose due to it taking a 180 degree turn in such a short distance. Touchy'/feely thru the fire sleeve indicates that it may be quite flattened or oval. I'm thinking that this hose may be kinked and is restricting my oil flow. Tad, you indicate that you've found some of these hoses that are kinked. This looks like a candiate for the "spring in the hose" trick. Comments?

Hi Roger. Your point is well taken regarding restriction caused by the spring. However, this hose comes off the oil pump and is routed reward and then is turned 180 degress and is bent around exhaust and engine mouint to return back to an attachment to the oil cooler that is near where it began at the pump. The span where it does this is only around 8 or 10 inches and the radius of the bend is around 3 to 4 inches. This is an application that requires a very stiff hose to prevent kinking and the new hose I was supplied with by CPS was a soft and pliable hose that appeared to be semi-collapsed maybe due to being stored tightly wrapped around a drum. Since this hose is not stiff and tends to kink, the other options are to use a pre-formed hose or to install an internal spring to prevent kinking. If Tad has found kinked hoses here, one solution would be to install a longer hose which would be able to make the return to the oil cooler with a more generous bend or to installation of a spring to the hose.

Hi Dick,

You are correct that a too short a hose radius can cause a restriction in the hose. That is why this particular hose is so long. The hose I have been using from CPS (blue in color) and from Parker hose seems to do a good job. I have bent the hose without the fire sleeve to double check it and it doesn't seem to kink with this length of hose. If this hose did have a restriction we would all have sky high oil temps that we could control. We aren't and haven't had those issues for year from this issue with any of the CT's so I think we are good to go..

Roger, thanks for the info. I also used the Parker blue hose but I'm wondering if it may have been trimmed too short? If kinking on this hose would cause higher oil pressures I'm pretty sure that there isn't a kink because my pressure doesn't seem to be high. Still, I may take off the fire sleeve and inspect this just to make sure. Would you have any idea what length this hose should be?

Archived