Exhaust system springs

Duski Don

G'day All,

One of my exhaust springs has busted.

The spring seems like a bit of an overkill in its strength.

I'm thinking I'll replace it with another not nearly as robust and hopefully increase the life of the spring hook and the attachment loops welded on the pipes.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Regards from Down Under,

Duski Don

Hi Don,

FD used some stainless and very stout springs. The cost about $3.32 each. I highly recommend that everyone check the springs where they hook over the loop every inspection. Most will need replacement by 700-900 hours. They will be worn on the hook and loop side. replace all 8 of them. It only cost about $25-$30. Use .041 safety wire instead of the thinner .032. Many of the FD .032 safety wire just breaks. The safety wire should not be tight or it will break. It should be a tad loose. It doesn't hold the muffler system at all and is only there in case the spring breaks or comes off and keeps it there. Then make sure you have enough RTV high temp. silicone on the outside of the spring. The coils should have a minimum of a fingernail space between coils. Apply the silicone about 1/2" wide and 1/4" tall and work it into the coils. This dampens the exhaust pulsation on the springs and helps keep them healthy longer.

FD does not use enough RTV silicone on the springs. A thin pencil width down the side and only on the surface is worthless.

Archived