Doing things wrong

Here are some pictures of "Doing It Wrong".

Unfinished and very sharp Band-It clamp ends. Roll them over with a pair of needle nose pliers to keep someone from bleeding to death when he works on the engine next time.

EGT probe installation only 80mm out verses 100mm as per the Rotax installation manual and it's in the way of a filter change.

The fuel hose runs through the firewall. I wasn't done properly during the firewall blanket install. It should have a metal tube through the firewall. Plus it has a screw clamp on the hose.

Illegal coolant reservoir hose. With the hot temps of a coolant discharge it may be a serious issue. not to mention it isn't what the the aircraft MFG uses.

An illegal light and some type of unit to make it function properly. The owner and mechanic that did this could be on the hook, NO LOA, could cause a fire with a hot light no to MFG spec.

No clamp on the firesleeve plus it is all gooped up with RTV silicone. How would you know if the fitting was leaking inside, how could you check or service the clamp. You are allowed to use the RTV silicone as a sealer for the ends of the firesleeve. The proper way is to mix and thin it with some toluene and spread it on the fiber ends of the sleeving to keep it from wicking up fluids.

No clamp on the bottom of the oil return line.

Carbs not synced at idle. The idle stop screw is backed off on both carbs. This is a very poor practice since you spend the majority of the engine time at cruise then at idle. It's especially hard at idle during the first start of the day. I only know of one place that does this and should be avoid as an owner.Don't let this happen. It isn't in any Rotax book and isn't taught in any rotax class.

Unfinished Exposed sharp band clamp end.pdf

EGT probe in the wrong place 80mm and not 100mm.pdf

Hose through the firewall and wrong clamps.pdf

Illegal coolant hose.pdf

Illegal light.pdf

No clamp and sloppy firesleeve end.pdf

No clamp on oil return line.pdf

Sloppy carb sync, idle stop screw not touching.pdf

Sloppy RTV covered oil line end. Unservicable.pdf

Here are some pictures of "Doing It Wrong"...

No clamp on the firesleeve plus it is all gooped up with RTV silicone. How would you know if the fitting was leaking inside, how could you check or service the clamp. You are allowed to use the RTV silicone as a sealer for the ends of the firesleeve. The proper way is to mix and thin it with some toluene and spread it on the fiber ends of the sleeving to keep it from wicking up fluids.

FWIW, my Sky Arrow was delivered from the factory with zero fire sleeve termination:

6947172725_9c53e0e4c9_z.jpg

I bought some band clamps but screwed up the installation. Rather than go through that again, I just used a twist of safety wire and gobbed some clear high-temp RTV on the ends:

6947173003_34b97ec872_z.jpg

The red RTV is to cover the sharp end of the cutoff safety wire. Those are the factory fuel line clamps.

So, its better than it was - safety wire is an improvement over no termination at all, I guess. If I make it out to see Roger this summer, I'll likely redo it with proper clamps then.

Archived