easy way to check tire pressure?????

Gmoore7

After reading the recent posts about flat tires I also ordered new tires and extra tubes so I will be ready when it does happen. I went out to the airport to check my air pressure. I did add air to the one tire. As I was doing this I remembered my Cessna farings. They had a easy access flap to put air in the tires.

Has anyone installed these on the CT' S? I studied this idea today, but I am thinking this may not be such a good idea especially on the mains due to the position of the valve stem.

Your response will be appreciated.

You have two choices.

Cut a large notch in e wheel pant to access the stem. (Not that great, but it works)

Or you can cut or trim the bottom edge off the mains and front wheel to make it more accessible. This one works very well and makes pre-flights of the wheels ten times easier. I do this for most of my customers. I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off blade and trim about 1" off the bottom. Use a piece of masking tape to cut a straight edge. It has a fleet approval already.

Hi Gary, I'm assuming that you bought tubes with 90 degree stems? These right angle stems allow me to check pressures and add air without trimming my wheel pants but I do have to get down to the floor to do this. I'll eventually trim the wheel pants as Roger suggests. I have also done a rounded "modified notch" for my friend's CTLS and it looks good and works too. The dremmel with cutoff wheel is the way to go.

Hi Gary,

Each wheel pant may be a little different. I use 1" masking tape to make a nice straight cut all the way across the pant. I do it for the front, too. The front bottom edge lip on the front curves in an makes it a PITB to work with for inflation or changing a tire.. Don't cut so much you are up into the depressed area where the wheel pant mounts. Leave approximately 1/2" below that depression. This will make inspecting nuts, tires and inflation much easier.

Gary, Attached is the fleet approval letter to "authorize" the wheel pant trimming. Note that technically its supposed to be performed by a licensed mechanic (LSRM minimum). A log book entry should be made noting the fleet approval letter, date performed and by whom. Just thought I'd share, not trying to be a party pooper!

09 07 10_01 FD Manufacturer Approval for all CT2K, CTSW, CTLS for wheel fairing access cut-away.pdf

I never noticed any difference... (in the airplane's flight characteristics or speed)... I definitely noticed it when I was on my knees adding air though! (life was easier). I also add magic marker lines that run from the tire to the wheel (slip marks) so I could monitor tire slippage on the rim. With trimmed pants it was also much easier to see my slip marks too. Aesthetically the trimmed pants look a lot better than the notched pants and the extra inch of clearance (in my humble opinion) actually made the ramp appeal a little better overall. It changes the "stance" of the plane optically (you see a little more tire, isn't that like a lady showing a little more leg? haha).

I installed a set of Tire Gard tire pressure monitors. These are used on motorcycles and there is a set of three for tricycle type motorcycles. It doesn't help with filling with air but it does make checking the tire pressure easy.

Gary, Attached is the fleet approval letter to "authorize" the wheel pant trimming. Note that technically its supposed to be performed by a licensed mechanic (LSRM minimum). A log book entry should be made noting the fleet approval letter, date performed and by whom. Just thought I'd share, not trying to be a party pooper!

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the fleet letter. I do appreciate it. Knowing all the rules and regs are not my strong point. Our on field mechanic assisted in the trimming and supervision.

There are no party poppers in this group.

Thanks again.

Archived