Rolling tendency with flaps 40

Russell Croman

Hi folks,

I've been practicing stalls with my instructor in my CTSW, and we noticed an interesting right rolling tendency with 40 degrees of flaps. Entering as coordinated as I could manage, the plane still likes to roll to the right when going from 30 degrees to 40 degrees of flaps. It takes some left rudder at first to get it coordinated. Once straight, I can do power-off stalls holding a heading (i.e., not dropping one wing first) no problem, but if I don't get it straight before the stall, it drops the right wing first, and fairly abruptly. My instructor tried it a few times, and definitely noticed the same right-rolling tendency.

I'd like to rule out the possibility that there is something wrong with my flap rigging or something. We observed the flap deflection between 30 and 40 in flight, and it looks even on both sides. But it definitely likes to roll to the right when going to 40.

Here was one test we did:

At altitude, get into a 30-degree flap descent with power at idle. Trim stabilator for ~50kt hands off. Plane flies straight with no control inputs. Now set flaps to 40. As the last few degrees come in and still no control inputs, the plane starts to roll gently to the right, maybe a couple of degrees per second. Bank will continue to increase if allowed. Some left rudder will bring it back. Going back to 30 degrees of flaps stops the rolling tendency.

This doesn't happen on power-on stalls, and oddly enough I don't notice it on landing approach when going to 40 degrees. It only seems to happen when I'm setting up for a power-off stall.

I am thinking that I was just setting it up uncoordinated, and the rolling tendency from that just gets more pronounced at full flaps.

Thoughts?

-Russ

Does this occur during the deceleration that would take place when you select flaps 40 in that situation, or does the rolling off continue after the speed has stabilized? I am thinking, left rudder is needed during deceleration. WF

The 2007 CTSW I owned would drop a wing with 40 flaps occasionally when I would get it really slow. I always found the 40 flap stalls to be a bit more abrupt and a couple knots faster then the 30 flap stalls. I wonder if the aileron droop is a little different on one side, though it seems you would notice the turning tendency at 15 and 30 if that were the case. Does it only do it full power off or with some power as well? Is your instructor overweight :D

Archived