Engine Fire Sleeve

Runtoeat

I'm wondering if I have the correct size fire sleeve installed but can't seem to find this info. It appears that the fire sleeve comes in numbered sizes. Maybe a size 10 for oil lines and a size 14 for coolant? How about size req'd for fuel lines?

• 4 months later...

There are three things that can be done to seal the ends of fire sleeve.

1. mix some red RTV silicone with some toluene and thin it out and paint it on the fire sleeve bare ends and back inside an inch.

2. use fire sleeve end wrap which is self vulcanizing. This is the easiest and cleanest.

http://www.americanfiresleeve.com/firesleeve-high-temperature-heat-flame-pyro-resistant-end-wrap-seal-tape-liquid-silicone-rubber-dip-paste-order-now.html

3. use a product called "End Dip" which is liquid and is $185 qt. It goes on wet and needs to sit to dry. A quart may last you a life time.

Hey Doug, hmmmm, "run to chow". That's a new one. I followed Roger's lead regarding the "self vulcanizing" high temp silicone tape and purchased a roll of this for fire sleeve end dressing. This tape is found in many stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight. I ordered stuff from Aircraft Spruce so this is where I got my tape. It comes in colors, including the red used for fire sleeve. You can use it for emergency repair of radiator hoses, holding wire bundles together, etc. I haven't tried it to stem bleeding after stabbing myself with a screwdriver yet but sooner or later there will be a trial for this too. Interesting stuff.

I will defer to somone else to answer your question regarding heat resistance properties. I believe that the tape has similar heat properties as the red silicone "gorilla snot" that is used to treat the ends of the hoses. I was joking about using it to patch myself up after stabbing myself with a screwdriver but the text actually says that this stuff can be used for this. If one believes everything printed, this stuff can also be applied over wet, oily or dirty hoses and one thickess insulates up to 8,000 volts - not that I'd be wanting to test it. Amazing stuff.

Run to Eat, I guess 500 is the continuous flame resistance for all; sleeve and goop....and tape....Heck I heat up to at least 1000 on final.....when I'm in my Stuka diver mode.

FlameShieldä Firesleeve and ourother silicone rubber coated fiberglass (fibreglass) materials withstands 500°F/ 260°C continuous exposure; Molten Splash at 2200°F / 1205°C for periods up to

15 minutes and short excursions to 3000°F / Molten Splash.....interesting, but is that when one augers on in---splash?

Hi Tom. I thought the end treatment prevented damage to the exposed rubber but your explanation helps me understand the reason for the end treatment. It appears that the emergency tape may offer increased protection against fuel asorption compared to just dipping the fire sleeve ends in sealer since the tape does a good job of sealing the sleeve against the steel end of the lines.

Archived