Swiveling Passenger footrest prototype

18 hours ago, okent said:

Perfect!  I was hoping that was the case.  Do you think that long portion that sits under the heels is necessary?

Specifically, do you think it keeps the device from rocking upward or do you think the portion under the bars is enough?

It will keep your heels from going through or cracking the foot locker door when the rest is in use.  There might be other ways to accomplish the same thing with a little thoughtful engineering.

5 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Count me in too please, I will take the 2 pound version ; )..., but I think it is made out of steel, at least the one that I saw.  Thanks.

I have seen a bunch, and most of them come from the same guy.  They are all aluminum, I've never seen a steel one.  Steel is a b*tch to cut and work with, you'd need more than standard tools to make them from steel.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

It will keep your heels from going through or cracking the foot locker door when the rest is in use.  There might be other ways to accomplish the same thing with a little thoughtful engineering.

Ah, makes sense.  I knew there had to be a reason for that section.  I think I can make that back section and the foot rest their own separate pieces and use the same hinge.  I just modeled everything up and will send over the drawings today.

Thanks FM!

9 hours ago, okent said:

Prototype is assembled and will see if I can get out to the hangar tomorrow for final fitting.  I made it so the bottom plate folds in half to make storage easier, possibly in the hat shelf area.

Will post pics tomorrow. 

Looking forward to it!

Fits and is sturdy.  I've got pieces for one more.  The design fits the pilot side which is narrow compared to the passenger side.  The one assembled has a gap on the outboard side and a tiny foot could get past the rest but you'd have to work at it.  Could be made wider but might not fit on the pilot side.

20191102_093229.jpg

20191103_083640.jpg

20191103_083635.jpg

20191103_083630.jpg

20191103_083728.jpg

Andrew, I've only assembled the one for the passenger side and the other set of plates are for my pilot side.  If these size differences are the same with all planes then there really needs to be separate pilot and passenger sizes.  I'm happy to upload the prints if anyone wants to make their own but with the size difference between sides I'm not sure it will fit every CTLS.  Specifically, for AGLyme and his son, I'd want the foot rest to be wider to isolate the right foot better.  Easy fix but would need a new plate cut and fitted (or a patch riveted on).

It took me the better part of yesterday to work out the assembly.

If a few of you would get some measurements  I can see if this pilot/passenger difference is consistent.

Measure the width of the flat floor space 2 inches back from the rudder pedal support.  It's the roughly 3/8 inch vertical metal piece that the pedal tubes are held in.  Also the distance from the support to where the mushroom meets the floor.

Measure the passenger side unless someone wants a pilot side too.

If these are consistent I can look at getting a small run cut and fabricated.

Everyone, I have no idea what liability would be.  This would have to be understood as used at your own risk.  Just trying to help the community.

2 hours ago, okent said:

If a few of you would get some measurements  I can see if this pilot/passenger difference is consistent.

Measure the width of the flat floor space 2 inches back from the rudder pedal support.  It's the roughly 3/8 inch vertical metal piece that the pedal tubes are held in.  Also the distance from the support to where the mushroom meets the floor.

Measure the passenger side unless someone wants a pilot side too.

If these are consistent I can look at getting a small run cut and fabricated.

Everyone, I have no idea what liability would be.  This would have to be understood as used at your own risk.  Just trying to help the community.

Sure, I have the SW. I totally understand the risk.