Google's new Nexus 7 tablet

CT4ME

I don't use my tablet in flight, or my S III phone. I do use them for flight planning and checking the weather on the ground. I also use them to have documentation for mainenance, etc. I don't have access to the internet at the hangar so I use my phone, or set it up as a hot spot for my tablet.

All that withstanding Doug, if it is only used for flight planning, would you recommend the full size iPad vs. Mini iPad? Seems to me that more display coverage would be better for the planning functions.

Bill I.

I take my tablet with me as a backup to my Garmin 696 and Skyview (plus I have my phone) and I carry a current Sectional...reduncancy! As far as size. I use a 10" tablet and like that size for what use it for. If were using it in the cockpit I would be looking at a 7" I guess the 10 is about equvalent to the standard iPad and the 7 to the mini.

Oh, I should mention that I use the AOPA app for checking out FBOs on cross country trips.

I take my tablet with me as a backup to my Garmin 696 and Skyview (plus I have my phone) and I carry a current Sectional...reduncancy! As far as size. I use a 10" tablet and like that size for what use it for. If were using it in the cockpit I would be looking at a 7" I guess the 10 is about equvalent to the standard iPad and the 7 to the mini.

Oh, I should mention that I use the AOPA app for checking out FBOs on cross country trips.

Thanks Doug.

I'm not sure the retina display, if/when it makes it to the mini, will have that much impact. While you can devise certain tests to showcase the retina, the average user can not tell the difference. I've taken two iPads (retina and non) and asked end users to look at the display critically on just some normal screens. Most could not tell which was which. For the retina to make a difference in the cockpit it would have to significantly brighter. Some tests show it may actually be less bright. Others say it is slightly brighter with the brightness turned all the way up, but that the battery life is killed with that setting.

Screen readability is definitely one area where the dedicated aviation devices, like the IFly and Garmins, still have the advantage.

Tim

Garmin (at least on the 696) allows you to use the sectional view and reduce the clutter a step at a time depending that you want to see. Seeing the Skyview GPS display is made more difficult since it is basically three feet away and therefore also at a poorer angle than my center 696. It works great for my passengers. Why does FD not change this?

Version 4.0 SkyView navigation has base map databases include towns, cities, roads, rivers, and railroads. Airspace depiction with graphics that match the style and color of sectional type charts. Compass rose and other IFR informations is also present.

Old paper style sectionals are far more cluttered and hard to read. Dynon does it better.

Sectionals are a government artifact of the past. Reinventing them in graphical virtuals translating the arcane symbols of the old charts is the future.

I love the Dynon Skyview system and they have made a lot of improvements since version 3.0 which I started with, but there mapping software does not approach the information on a sectional. I have about 140 hours actually using Skyview and it is a wonderful system but not a substitute for a sectional, but a compliment. They never intended it to replace sectionals.

In a recent phone conversation with Dynon they (Kirk) mentioned that sectional were a possibility in the future releases.

I believe that you are still required to carry current sectionals (electronics or paper) to fly legally. I don't believe Dynon would say their SV system would meet this requirement. Although SV probably does replace the paper AF&D.

BTW Dynon acknowledged to me that Garmin's GPS is still contains more "cultural features" than theirs but they are working to close the gap. Version 4.0 was a nice move forward. Their issues are 2 fold:

1). Their upgrades are free and so they need to find inexpensive ways to add these

2). Garmin has many years of a headstart.

I'm very please with their system ( I own a completely redundant system of everything they offer at this time - single ADS-B though ( I don't think you can easily have a dual ADS-B system)). I'm more than willing to wait for them to continue to add mapping features as well as sectionals.

I' m also waiting on their radio.

Whether or not legally required, I would want to be sure I had access to ALL the information contained on sectionals for a given flight.

Falls under the "all available information concerning that flight" from preflight action.

Historically, I think sectionals have been the standard, supplemented with A/FD and NOTAM info, of course. If one relied on Garmin or Foreflight or WingXPro and that service left something important off and you blundered into a violation, a case might be made that you did not have that important "all available information".

In any case, now that you can have a year of sectionals for the whole country for $100 or so (or even free if you want to go to the trouble of downloading them individually - for now), I think it's wise to have them onboard - even if it's only on an iPhone or equivalent.

Dan,

It's all about the wording.... "Required" vs Prudent. It's such a no-brainer that most just assume it's a legal requirement... while it's just a smart/safe flying requirement. Even with 4 different moving map programs on various phones and tablets, and the Garmin GPS, I still carry a local paper chart or two, for safety.

In this World of over-regulation and FAA pinheads trying to justify their jobs by thinking up rules/regs for the tiniest little things, it's amazing that they've never created one for charts.

Tim

Dan,

It's all about the wording.... "Required" vs Prudent. It's such a no-brainer that most just assume it's a legal requirement... while it's just a smart/safe flying requirement. Even with 4 different moving map programs on various phones and tablets, and the Garmin GPS, I still carry a local paper chart or two, for safety.

In this World of over-regulation and FAA pinheads trying to justify their jobs by thinking up rules/regs for the tiniest little things, it's amazing that they've never created one for charts.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Your remarks put a good perspective on this. My DPE was a real stickler for reading charts and particularly the AF&D. He apparently wrote an article on its importance, so I had both for my test. One of the runways on my cross country trip planning was closed and this info was in the remarks section of the AF&D.

I flew a lot of IFR with no sectional of any kind in the airplane. For a 135 company.

I'm glad to see that most feel the sectional is valuable but agree it is not required. There are many ways to get the information on a sectional.

CFI's and mechanics who make what they think is important "required" do their students and clients no favors. All of us should know and teach what is required and be able to understand and explain it. There is nothing wrong with preferring to have a sectional on board. That is not the same as saying one "has" to be on board or even saying that having one on board is sufficient, as it may well be that other information should also be ascertained and available.

• 1 month later...

I did some flying with my Nexus 7 and the size is good for the cockpit. I got some graduated sunglass readers where the magnification is only there if you look down so if I mount it anywhere it will be on my knee. It wasn't bad without a mount.

Flying with it was like driving and texting, I wasn't using the AP and by the time I looked up I had lost both my heading and attitude. The GPS altitude is the best I've seen by far.

I've only used Avilution. I have a big scaleable map on my primary display so I don't need to look at the Nexus very much, mostly when looking up frequencies.

post-6-0-58710900-1364068792_thumb.jpg

Archived