Drones and collision avoidence

Ed Cesnalis

One interesting benefit of all the drone action is a crapload of new (low paying I'm sure) pilot jobs! I'm seeing that several aviation schools and colleges are now creating a curriculum and career path for "drone pilots". It's interesting that right now the military (at least) is requiring licensed pilots with IFR ratings to pilot UAV's. I bet we have a whole generation of video game kids that could fly these things with only a cracker jack box license. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as the next 20 years rolls by. Warfare will become pilotless (Terminator anyone?) and he who has the best software engineers (to hack into control systems and turn peoples drones on themselves) may be the winner. Its a scary world out there! As for me, ah what the hell, back to the garage where I'm starting to build a Vans RV 12 just for fun!

Having read CharlieTango's post of the pillock piloting the drone from the Seychelles, it strikes me that the key difference between pilotted and pilotless flight is the instinct for self preservation of the pilot.

So, rather than fit Adam's gun to the wing of the CT, why not have it mounted just behind the drone pilot's chair and a link so it fires if the drone crashes?

Archived