weight and balance

kgassmann

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I must bow to popular demand!

I did just run some extreme numbers, and no reasonable loading puts the Sky Arrow out of balance.

100 lb pilot with a 150 lb passenger and all the baggage maxed out might tickle the rear limit, but with me at 186 or so that's not a problem.

11843761955_139f4ab752_z.jpg

Similarly a 250 lb pilot with no passenger or baggage was still in limits re: the forward limit.

With that in mind, I pretty much just use the "No Baggage Loading" cheat sheet on the lower left.

Does it have a fuel selector switch? If so, I suggest you never use it.

Nope, pretty sure its a valve.

11844772156_c5abe4975f_z.jpg

That red lever just lifts up, and is linked to an identical one in the back, which is linked to a shutoff valve on the gascolator.

Really just gets turned off as part of the annual, to make sure it works. Like a Cessna 150, no other reason to mess with it in normal operations.

Geez, that does look cramped.

The Sky Arrow?

Once I'm in I've never felt that way. Maybe the canopy gives the illusion of spaciousness in spite of the fact that I guess I am pretty much wedged in there.

Don't want to drop stuff on the floor, though!

I had read that the CTLSi was designed with the fuel selector valve so that excess fuel from the fuel injection would be returned to the tank it came from. With the selector on both and the tanks filled to the maximum, you could be sending the excess gas back to the low wing and dumping it out the vent. Right?

I had read that the CTLSi was designed with the fuel selector valve so that excess fuel from the fuel injection would be returned to the tank it came from.

Don't know, but on fuel injected planes I don't think that's uncommon.

For your enjoyment (click to enlarge):

11845571373_301a07c9d1_z.jpg

The cropdusters I ferried often had the hopper plumbed for fuel. I absolutely had to burn fuel out of the wings first. I'd let them get down to about 1/4, then switch to the hopper. The extra fuel would end up ported back to the wing tanks, which would gradually refill, then back to the wings, and so on.

The key is you absolutely need to understand every nuance of your fuel system.

As an aside, I never had a student fail the flight portion of any checkride. I did have two blow orals. One was an A&P who was going for his multiengine rating in an Apache. He was responsible for maintaining that Apache, so my review of the fuel system amounted to, "So, you understand how the cross feed and everything works, right?" He responded that he did, but the examiner apparently found out otherwise.

All this talk of W&B inspired me...today I went out to the hangar and took EVERYTHING out of the airplane ( manuals, headsets, bungee cords, chocks, the flip up footrest, even the iPad mount...everything!) and weighed it all. It came to 18lb...not light, but not as heavy as I feared.

I'm going to eliminate a few luxuries and try to get down to 15lb total, which will leave me with 570lb useful load. The cockpit cover that stays in the plane is 7lb, so I can knock a big chunk off by not carrying it when I don't intend to be overnight or need an additional gallon of fuel.

I use Ian's spreadsheet customized for my plane. The only "futzing" I do is to put in weights and gallons of fuel. I can print it if I want, but it stays on my phone (or tablet) until I change it. I can save it to dropbox and access it anywhere.

I may try the free version (it is available for Android) the interface looks nice.

I use Ian's spreadsheet customized for my plane. The only "futzing" I do is to put in weights and gallons of fuel. I can print it if I want, but it stays on my phone (or tablet) until I change it. I can save it to dropbox and access it anywhere.

I may try the free version (it is available for Android) the interface looks nice.

The interface *is* pretty nice. It's just like your spreadsheet except you don't have to have a spreadsheet app or mess with Dropbox to save things. And you also get a W&B envelope graphic to show you exactly where you are in the envelope.

I had read that the CTLSi was designed with the fuel selector valve so that excess fuel from the fuel injection would be returned to the tank it came from. With the selector on both and the tanks filled to the maximum, you could be sending the excess gas back to the low wing and dumping it out the vent. Right?

The CTLSi manual says surplus fuel is fed back to the header tank. For the CTLS I believe it says gascolator.

The CTLSi manual says surplus fuel is fed back to the header tank. For the CTLS I believe it says gascolator.

Hmm...what if the header is full? Does the fuel then back up in the lines and go into the main tanks? How does that work fighting against the fuel pressure in the lines, is there a return fuel pump? Return lines are always a complicating issue in constant pressure fuel injection systems.

The interface *is* pretty nice. It's just like your spreadsheet except you don't have to have a spreadsheet app or mess with Dropbox to save things. And you also get a W&B envelope graphic to show you exactly where you are in the envelope.

I don't have to "mess with dropbox" I do that so I have the same spreadsheet available on my phone, laptop, tablet, and desktop. I have it saved locally on my phone.

As far as the graphic, on the spreadsheet if either the balance range (never happens), or the total weight get beyond limits they turn red on the spreadsheet - graphic enough for me. By the sound of it I prefer the versatility of what I am using.

Are you able to put the foot storage areas into the app?

I don't have to "mess with dropbox" I do that so I have the same spreadsheet available on my phone, laptop, tablet, and desktop. I have it saved locally on my phone.

As far as the graphic, on the spreadsheet if either the balance range (never happens), or the total weight get beyond limits they turn red on the spreadsheet - graphic enough for me. By the sound of it I prefer the versatility of what I am using.

Yes, IIRC they have an ARM of -13.2 and a max weight of 20lb

5 pounds each max Andy. See my screen shots Doug. I added six separate storage areas. For the hatrack I used the same ARM as main baggage since I couldn't find anything better in the POH.

Like Roger said it is hard to load one out of CG. If you look at the original weight and balance form that came with the airplane you will see an empty weight CG range. If you empty weight CG falls within the range you can not get out of CG without exceding some other limit, like gross weight, max/min pilot weights, trying to carry more than 34 gallons in the wing tanks, or more than 55 pounds for each baggage compartment.

I just rechecked W&B for my 2005 CTSW.

For what it is worth...

It is possible to get the CG too far forward when the tanks are full, the baggage compartment is completely empty and there is a single pilot who shall we say weighs less than the FAA standard passenger weight (male, summer). I did the check because the guy that sold me the airplane talked about a female pilot flying the plane and they had to put ballast in the baggage compartment when she flew solo. So, while this scenario may be uncommon. It is possible to bust the CG in the forward direction on the CTSW.

Given that the CTLS is longer with the weight of the tail even further from the center of gravity, maybe that model is more forgiving in this regard.

Archived