Which 5 year rubber part Replacement kit? Which Fuel Line?

Ed Cesnalis

Ed has a good picture of a bad float a few post prior to this one.

I have seen floats that flake here at my shop. It does leave black flake debris and could easily be mistaken for rubber hose. The floats are supposed to be resistant to ethanol, but they have had a number of them flake anyway especially the ones from the 1990's. I would guess 95% of the floats with ethanol are just fine, but after a number of years it's a good idea to rebuild the carbs. The carbs have rubber "O" rings, a Viton tip needle valve and the floats and the ethanol since it is an alcohol is a drying agent and over time it drys out the rubber parts. Floats don't always need replacement, but someone needs to check them every once in a while. Scrapping them with your fingernail takes the outside coating off and allows the fuel/ethanol intrusion a little deeper.

Carb rebuild aren't a big deal. I do quite a few here at my shop from all over the US on both the 912UL and the 912ULS. I wouldn't let someone who has never done one before do it. It is like the rubber hose change. It looks simple, but has a few things that can get messed up if you are not aware of what to do. One procedure could cost big time if done wrong. If you have a mechanic that has never done a set of Rotax carbs make sure he contacts someone who has to give them the tips and areas to watch out for.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About those image links not working...

I had the issue on another site as well. I suspect something changed within Flickr.

Virtually every photo I've posted to this site I've done so by uploading to Flickr, finding the size I want, right-clicking on the image an selecting "Copy Image Address". I stuck that between "img" tags and the image would show up.

Now, when I try that, I get this, with the pasted link in blue and this being the result:

(that didn't work at all - what it shows is a whole bunch of extraneous stuff between "url" tags I didn't type.)

Trying to strip away the extra characters and tags doesn't work either.

The site now says this in a FAQ:

'The direct link to a photo file

is no longer shown on the page. Per the

Flickr Community Guidelines

"pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this."

My workaround is to go to the "Share" menu, go to the embed code and extract the link, then paste that between "img" tags, which does work:

8450724656_f0248b1bb9.jpg

That's actually how I've done it in the field using my iPad.

I wish Apple or someone provided an easier way to get photo online to link to - I'm open to suggestions.

Hi Icy,

I use the Gates Barriade Green Technology (low pressure carburator) for the fuel line. I use standard polyvinyl clear tubing for the sight gauges. 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD. Use the thin wall verses the thick wall tubing. The tubing usually last until the next wing inspection before the auto fuel stains it too bad. Neither are tough to do, just takes a little time.

Hi Roger

the gates fuel line..... what is the inside and outside diameter in standard measure equivalent, or is it available in metric? My manual shows "7.5x13" but with no units..... metric I presume but its a bit cryptic.

thanks for your response.

Mike Glatiotis

Nelson BC

C-ICEY

• 3 months later...

Archived