Radiator shutters

Scrapman1959

Does anyone want a radiator shutters system to put on for winter flying.? Dan is going to build some more next week. They work great for quicker oil temps and keeping your oil in the 200 and above while cruising. Takes about ten minutes to install. You can remove it in ten minutes for summer flying.

Ok, I will snap a pic tomorrow while replacing my LED beacon on the tail. Yes the hanger door was open far enough. We keep two CTs in a t hanger and my back was a little tight Monday morning and I didn't push the tail down far enough and snapped the LED beacon off the tail while bringing the tail under the wing to get the LS out. $2020 from Flight Design, $520 from Sportys for the same light. The shutter is held in place by two plastic tie wraps that go completely around the radiator/oil cooler assembly. Then a simple push/pull cable opens and closes it from the cockpit. The simplicity of the shutter is genius. He is painting them flat black, so you barely see it unless you are looking. Much less noticeable than a piece of silver tape across your radiator. The best part is it's adjustable per OAT.

I will find out today. I got mine 3 years ago and can't remember the price. Is everybody else still trying to put the right amount of tape on per temperature that day, or are they just running cold oil temps all winter ?

I have to use tape of I can't get any cabin heat

OK, so I get very confused by the LOA process. My understanding is that you must have an LOA BEFORE you modify an SLSA. Otherwise what is to keep me from say, homemade floats on my plane and then seeking an LOA? Or modifying my panel to integrate an i-pad mini in the panel itself? In effect, my plane becomes experimental and I am a test pilot!

Just went to a FAAST seminar on ramp checks. I lean heavily toward legal. Right now many of the FAA folk don't have a lot of knowledge about Light Sport, but that could change quickly if they start finding out people are treating it like experimental. That could make things a lot tougher for all of us.

Here's how I do this in our colder climate. I cut a piece of styrofoam about four inches wide (as seen in the attached JPG) and insert it between the radiator and the cowling. I use that anytime the surface temperature is 35F or less. It keeps the oil temperature up in the green. I have another piece about seven inches wide to use when the surface temperature is 10 degrees or colder.

post-408-0-51132400-1355669826_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dan is shipping the radiator shutters out to whomever wants a set. You can play with your tape and your styrofoam on the ground while the shutters allow you to adjust your oil temps in flight due to differing temps from departure to destination, climb and even different power settings while in cruise. They also help get your oil to takeoff temp faster because you close them completely during warm up. Dans e mail is danddan17@yahoo.com he will fedex you a set for $150 plus freight.

Archived