Cold, creepy throttle

Andy

Whenever it turns cold, my throttle decides to spring forward on its own. You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.theandyzone.com/flight/movies/ctsw/throttle.mov

I've inquired about adjusting this out in the past and have been told it's difficult to fix; it's obviously due to some spring and/or cable shrinkage in the cold. But this seems excessive, and it is something I'd rather fix so me and my students don't have to deal with it. What do we need to do here?

(A throttle friction device would obviously handle this but since we don't have one...

The choke does this, too, but not as badly.)

Thanks.

It would be nice to have a external friction lock, but its not hard to tighten when it's cold. Just take the knobs off the throttle and brake levers, remove the four screws on the cover. You will see a bolt going thru the throttle and choke assy. I think it's a 13mm nut, just tighten it up a little until the throttle friction feel right, put all back together and done. It only takes a few minutes.

Hi Andy,

The issue is in the throttle housing under the throttle handle. The plastics and metals shrink when it gets cold and changes the friction against the throttle. Just take out the 4 screws on the top plate under the throttle handle. Use a small tip screwdriver on the left side to hold the bolt head from moving (you can't get a wrench in there) and then on the right side use a 13mm wrench to just tweak the nut. It takes very little adjustment. Pull the throttle lever back and forth a time or two and set the friction where you like it. If you leave it too loose then the carb springs will keep advancing the throttle and it won't stay put.

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do.

Archived