What Do YOU Want For Christmas?

Adam

Happy Holidays to one and all... It's that time of year again... Whether its Hanukka or Christmas, Kwanza or Just because... What airplane or pilot related gift is on top of your list? Curious to see what gadgets are on your list (If your gadgets are better than mine I might want to borrow your ideas!)

Perhaps new sunglasses designed by a pilot for pilots?

https://www.flyingeyes.biz/shop/flying-eyes-sunglasses/

Maybe its that latest handheld from from Sporty's?

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14807

Maybe a new cockpit cam?

http://www.nflightcam.com/cameras/nflightcam2.html

What's on your list for Santa?

Dynon just released their ADS-B receiver and version 5.0 of Skyview. I already have their transponder, so with the addition of the ADS-B receiver I'll have cockpit weather, TFR's and the latest traffic technology. Planning on a late Christmas in January (at my annual).

I have it on good authority that Santa's elves are hard at work re-configuring my panel to fit in a shiny new Garmin 795 with a permanently mounted GDL-39 connected to a remote CI-105 antenna. BTW -- Santa discovered that a 5 year-old 496 had way more value in the Van's classified than he originally thought. Throw in a $200 rebate and Santa didn't break the bank. <_<

Hi Dan, I intend to add the new ADSB Dynon box to my bird as well... I also have the Dynon transponder so I'm anxious to get it all for free and tell XM Weather to bugger off! I have not yet ordered the box (although I see its now available to order - finally!). We should stay in touch. FD will need to issue an LOA on this, I'd expect it will be a Fleet LOA for all Skyview Systems. I'll drop Tom Peghiny an email and see if they will consider it proactively.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan, I intend to add the new ADSB Dynon box to my bird as well... I also have the Dynon transponder so I'm anxious to get it all for free and tell XM Weather to bugger off! I have not yet ordered the box (although I see its now available to order - finally!). We should stay in touch. FD will need to issue an LOA on this, I'd expect it will be a Fleet LOA for all Skyview Systems. I'll drop Tom Peghiny an email and see if they will consider it proactively.

Hey Adam,

I had my annual done last week, but the weather wasn't good enough to fly home, so I wasn't able to test the newly installed Dynon ADS-B receiver. I'm planning to get the plane on Thursday of this week to fly home on Friday, so I'll get to test it out. The plane is currently in North Little Rock which isn't covered by ADS-B yet, so I'll have to fly a little south to see all of it's functionality. I'm more interested in the traffic capability that the weather as I'm still pretty cautious about flying around or under fronts, although being able to look up METARS on my route will be useful.

Dan

Yes -- you are supposed to get all traffic the ground station has detected on radar. I've only received traffic when near the DFW Class B so everything I received presumably was Mode C/Mode S/ADS-B so can't tell you first-hand if primary radar traffic was included. Got to tell you, the first time I got ground station traffic was almost a little nerve racking. I was turning final at T31, under the outer ring of the class B, when my 795 lit up with about 10-15 aircraft. My TCAS only had 2 (but in fairness most of the ADS-B traffic was 5nm away)!

FYI. To receive the broadcast you must be within the 15nm radius circle of the 'pinging' aircraft and will receive aircraft that are 3500' vertically from the pinging aircraft.

Hey Dave,

According to the Dynon Pilots User Guide, the traffic that will be displayed is within 15 nm and +/- 5,000 feet. Also the ground station will only send a max of 8 aircraft. If more are within the 15nm cylinder the ground station will determine the closest 8 and broadcast them. I suppose that you can have more than 8 displayed, as up to 8 will come from the ground station and other ADS-B out aircraft in the area would also display.

Dan,

From the FAA Next Gen site:

Information Provided Free via TIS-B and FIS-B

TIS-B uses surveillance data from ground-based air traffic control radars and ADS-B position reports

from equipped aircraft and sends these reports back through the ADS-B ground stations to the

cockpits of properly equipped aircraft. This will help pilots visually acquire other aircraft more

easily, and TIS-B will improve pilot situational awareness, including times when the aircraft is near

an airport. TIS-B shows the position of other aircraft within a 15-mile radius and plus or minus

3,500 ft. altitude.

I'm unaware of the number of targets being limited and couldn't find a reference to that but also didn't actually count what I received. I could have also had a mix of multiple ground stations and air-to-air reception. The 795/GDL manual doesn't specify a maximum.

I wonder if the 5000' from the Dynon has to do with their processing of air-to-air? This is an option in the Garmin system.

IMHO -- ADS-B traffic is marginally useful currently without being paired with ADS-B out.

Dan,

From the FAA Next Gen site:

I'm unaware of the number of targets being limited and couldn't find a reference to that but also didn't actually count what I received. I could have also had a mix of multiple ground stations and air-to-air reception. The 795/GDL manual doesn't specify a maximum.

I wonder if the 5000' from the Dynon has to do with their processing of air-to-air? This is an option in the Garmin system.

IMHO -- ADS-B traffic is marginally useful currently without being paired with ADS-B out.

Thanks Dave. Since I have ADS-B out I could be turning on the ground station for other pilots in the area. Any chance of collecting user fees :) ?

Archived