ASI Problem

mocfly

Went down to the airport and found the Air speed indicator stuck on 40 knots. It has been outside for a few weeks while we wait for a new hanger to open up. figuring it was maybe some moisture frozen I asked that it be put in the heated hanger. Waited about 3 hours and no go. Not sure what to try next. I can not seem to find the pitot-static system drawings which would help.

Anyone have an idea of where to start this troubleshooting process based on a similar experience?

As always thank you in advance.

Chris

N530CT

Chris

Had the same problem several years ago on my CTSW. Have seen several different types of tubes on the SW. Mine just pulls out from the wing where you can get to the tubing. Once, I used low air pressure to blow thru the metal (held a rag over end) and observed the debris that came out, I re-attached and it worked fine and still does. I even keep my cover on while in the Hgr.

If that does not work, then going behind the panel and disconnecting the tube there and blowing thru the system should work. Also look at your static port on the belly of the A/C as moisture could have frozen there.

Since you are going from heated hgr. to cold also look at Roger's post on coolant leaks.

All,

Removed the panel to gain access and after removing thre pitot tube the airspeed immediately dropped. Took the tubing off the tru-track and put some compressed air thru it. There was a quite a bit of water that exited the pitot tube. Quite evident that without a pitot cover water had entered the tubing and caused the issue. Needless to say we made a pitot cover and installed I after all the water was blown out going from the panel to the pitot tube and from the pitot tube back to the panel.

Took it for a quick trip around the patch and all is well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

N530CT

Archived