High Fuel Pressure Alarm

DavidBhm

I am a new 2009 CTLS owner and while flying aircraft home I received a high fuel pressure alarm. My fuel flow was fine and all other engine parameters were green except the fuel pressure. My fuel level was showing 2 gals in left tank and 7 gals in right tank. I was close to my destination airport and continued flight by silencing alarm. I added fuel to 20 gallons total and test flew aircraft a couple of times, fuel pressure indication is now normal in the green. Has anyone experienced this ?

I've been struggling with it since I have a Dynon EMS 110 installed. I concluded that it's sensor vibration. I rotated the sensor 90 degrees on it's axis and clamped it to hoses instead of the engine and most of the problem went away.

Hi David,

It is more common than most think. It is because the fuel pressure line with the fuel pressure sensor are upside down. Remove the fuel pressure sender and squirt some carb cleaner in the tiny hole with the red plastic extended nozzle. Do it only for a second and let it pee out. Do this 4-5 times. Then it should be okay the fuel in this line never sees fresh fuel and it gets old and nasty after a year. If that doesn't fix it then the fuel pressure sender is on it's last legs. Then change it from egauges.com.

The first solutions on should work though. This will continue until you do one of the above.

Thanks Jim.....I thought it might have been due to the low fuel quantity in the left tank and I was desending at the time I got the alarm. When I landed approximately 10 minutes after the initial alarm, I verified fuel in tanks as 7 gals right and 2 gals left....It certainly got my attention and just bothers me to know what caused it...

Thanks for the information Roger, I will try that....Would the low fuel quantity in the left tank have anything to do with it as I was desending at about 400fpm when the alarm sounded first. I have read your previous posts about uneven fuel flow and will experiment with flying with the "ball" 1/2 or so outside and see if that works. Because I had 9 gallons total fuel remaining and the fuel flow was showing 5 gph I did not think it was an inoperative fuel pump but as this was my flight home after just purchasing it certainly got my attention. Does the 5 gallon difference between L and R tanks sound pretty normal ? By the way I would like to say I appreciate all of your advice and posts you have made, it is nice to know there are good sources available....

Low fuel in the tanks has nothing to do with fuel pressure because the pressure is measured after the fuel pump. So long as there is liquid there it shouldn't change unless you had some vaporization.

Having one tank drain faster than the other is very normal in flat tank aircraft like the CT. Because the CT has an open fuel line between tanks the fuel can be moved from one side to another by moving the ball to the side you want the fuel to go to. If the left side tank is low, fly the ball out 1/2 -1 ball and fuel will slowly transfer over to the other tank. It does not happen fast. My left tank drains faster than the right. If I fly a cross country 1/2 ball to the left the tanks are pretty even when I land.

Archived