Input for LS presentaton

Doug G.

I am putting together a presentation on Light Sport for our EAA chapter. This will be on LS pilots, planes, and repairman. Is the something in particular that you would like to have shared with those who are not particularly familiar with LS? (Just trying not to miss anything important.)

Thanks for your anticipated input.

Doug G.

Lets see... Great topic to discuss... For me, I'm a wealthy guy, I can afford to buy many things... But my main mission is to enjoy the hobby, enjoy getting up and going for a joy ride. I want a modern plane, modern avionics, wide comfy cabin, capable aircraft, BRS safety. A plane I can go somewhere and do something with that is economical to operate (4 GPH instead of 12) etc. Instead of an old and tired airframe or design I get all of this for half the price of a new 172 (my new CTLS with dual dynon skyview, brs, tundra, 912ULS was 152k, Cessna 172 easily over 300k in todays world). Similar delta even in the used market. Now, as for why Sport Pilot versus Private Pilot (for me) simple... My mission is accomplished with a sport pilot license. "Get the license you need for the mission" is my theory. I see better in the day, I am a joy rider, fair weather burger chaser. Sport Pilot license lets me fulfill my mission! I have so many friends who are screwing around with medical related issues. I'm young and healthy at 48 but when I loot at my friends who are having health issues I think, why screw with all that mess! If I need to add 2 more seats to fulfill my mission I'll consider upgrading license but until I do, I'm an LSA pilot with a Sport Pilot License, happy with both. When I want to fly something bigger (lots of time doing that) I just pop a CFI or a properly rated PPL friend in the left or right seat and go to town.

Might include a bullet point on the advantages/disadvantages of E-LSA, and a quick overview of the conversion process.

Converting my S-LSA to E-LSA had a profound effect on my enjoyment of my plane. The ability to work on it, make sensible minor modifications and parts substitutions and even do my own Annual Condition Inspections has me much more involved than when I needed an LOA or an A&P for every little thing

Doug,

I just got back from the big LSA Expo in Sebring, Fl and one reoccurring theme for pilots transitioning to LSA aircraft was because of the Medical Certificate. If you are tired of dealing with getting a Medical Certificate renewed you can meet the same requirement with a valid Driver's License as long as your "last Medical" was not denied.

I agree with Adam that they are very modern both in design and electronics, very fuel-efficient and so much fun to fly at speeds comparable to C-172.

Hope that helps

Doug G. and Adam: I perhaps am not quite a sybarite, but Adam has summed up LSA participation nicely. Nonetheless, with age (76) hopefully comes a bit of useful experience and knowledge. As many of you know I am a partisan CTLS type who has written about it a bit. It also seems to me that owning an LSA means that the person is adverturesome and knowledgeable; meaning that he or she flies an airplane and that activity sets one apart from the crowd. It also means the LSA pilot found out that flying a amazingly uplifting (sic) activity and is doing it at a very substancial saving compared to the "other" GA types. If my experience is any indication, the ride is very reliable and I don't really see any destination restrictions.

See ya, Dr. Ken Nolde N840KN

Of course Light Sport involves more than fixed wing, but that will be my emphasis as far as airframes - mainly because that is what I know. On the other hand I am not intending to do an FD sales pitch. (Although I will have some brouchures on hand). ; )

Per fast Eddie

Converting my S-LSA to E-LSA had a profound effect on my enjoyment of my plane. The ability to work on it, make sensible minor modifications and parts substitutions and even do my own Annual Condition Inspections has me much more involved than when I needed an LOA or an A&P for every little thing

Fast Eddie, when you converted to ELSA what does your airworthiness certificate say?? I thought there were only two expermintal catagories, amature built and racing and exibition. Are you one of those or are you something else that I don't know about.

WIth the racing and exibition there are some real pitfalls that I ran into trying to buy a Pipistral that was that catagory.

Tell me more please.

Larry

Fast Eddie, when you converted to ELSA what does your airworthiness certificate say??

I'll look when I head to the airport. I thought I had a scanned copy of it here, but apparently not.

I assume it reads like Jim's.

In a short while I'll post images of my "Program Letter" as issued by Mike Huffman. As I glanced at it just now, I see it states that the plane is available for inspection at a different airport than the one it's at now. I need to email him to find out if I need to change that and how. The rest seems to be standard "boilerplate". And I'm pretty sure I must have a copy in the plane at all times (I have mine folded up with the registration and Airworthiness certificate.

Great idea. When it's all together, let us see what it looks like, I (and probably many others) would like to put this in front of our EAA chapter and perhaps some other forums. (like the airport management staff ??).

I just gave a presentation at the Sebring Expo titled "Stepping up to LSA, transitioning from traditional part 23 aircraft"

I have it in a power point presentation and you are welcome to use it. I can email it to you.

Basically it went something like this.

Much reduced overall expense.

1.If your like me and fly 150hrs year a typical LSA fuel cost would be 150 x $4.20mogas x 3.75 GPH avg =$2365 VS 150 x $6.30100LL x 15GPH =$14175

This is huge. Not everyone fly a 182 like I did but even a skyhawk is alot of extra $ for fuel.

2. Less expensive annuals and repairs

3. Rotax engines start like a car hot or cold. No belching backfiring and fouled plugs or leaning.

4. Avionics are ALOT less expensive

5. LSAs are cool. You will get attention! Everyone has seen an old skyhawk or warrior

6. LSAs are alot more fun to fly. After I got my LSA I really just didnt enjoy flying the 182 nearly as much anymore. I would take the Tecnam every time unless I had more than two which was very rare.

7.When I went for a ride in the 182 for a couple hours in would burn almost 30 gallons of fuel costing $175 or so. Same ride in the LSA cost me $25 to $30.

I just couldnt feel good about burning 30 gallons of fuel and spending 175 dollars for a joy ride. I fly alot more now know it will only be 25-$30.

Mark

For anyone who might have paused to consider it, the CT offers a measure of empathy for those on the ground...

I fly in some pretty rugged places where there are a number of good and rugged folks who prefer feet on the ground, (which might be approaching vertical :o), enjoying their wilderness experience in peace and natural tranquility. In every instance that I have spoken to people over whom I have flown, the CT comes across as quiet and unobtrusive, not intrusive on their experience in any significant way. For many it was a pleasure to be quietly seen in their element, and for all of us to share a brief moment of natural wonder. I'm sure it applies to almost everyone on the ground. CT's are just nice :wub:

Can't say that is the same experience for a 182, or shudder, the soul shattering intrusion of a helicopter.........

Feel free to modify it to your liking and if you dont mind I would be interested in what you changed or added.

We all need to promote light sport. Maybe we could all continue to add to it so all members could access it

when they get an opportunity to promote light sport.

Mark

Archived