Blade Replacement

mocfly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think  the Sensenich will be my choice (just because it comes with the CTLS).  Will check n the warp drive though. 

Roger - i operate out of some semi paved runways - do you think the 68" would get a beating out of short grass or pebbles etc ?

The 68" is 1.5" longer at the tip. If you run any of our props up hard on dirt they will pick up debris. Try and find a hard packed area to run up and limit the run ups and rpm during the run up. Any prop on a dirt strip is going to pick up some debris. After owning and testing 8 different props all will pick up debris. The Warp drive deals better with debris, but isn't as good a prop in climb and is heavy. The Sensenich does have a protected edge. If I was in nothing, but dirt the Warp may be a good choice and It could be repaired far easier than any of the others. Even in the field with super clue and baking soda. 

The 68" is 1.5" longer at the tip. If you run any of our props up hard on dirt they will pick up debris. Try and find a hard packed area to run up and limit the run ups and rpm during the run up. Any prop on a dirt strip is going to pick up some debris. After owning and testing 8 different props all will pick up debris.

Operational question:

If taking off from a dirt or gravel strip, is it better to:

A ) Increase power more slowly than normal, to try to minimize disturbance to the surface and kicking up debris

OR

B ) Increase power as normal, to minimize the time exposed to the dirt and debris on the surface?

Operational question:

If taking off from a dirt or gravel strip, is it better to:

A ) Increase power more slowly than normal, to try to minimize disturbance to the surface and kicking up debris

OR

B ) Increase power as normal, to minimize the time exposed to the dirt and debris on the surface?

The lower you can keep the angle of attack on the blades the less tip vortices you will have. Lower tip vortices means less debris picked up. The way to way to reduce the angle of attack on the prop is to have the aircraft moving faster forward with a slower propeller RPM.

I agree with Anticept, slow power increase and get the airplane rolling.

The Sensenich versus Neuform debate has no real answer except Sensenich is a US company, and Neuform is a Euro company and the Sensenich prop is longer and more prone to damage from sucking up rocks off the runway.

Still, Neuform props come with covers.  If the sun is on the prop at all use them.  I take them on trips.  Even if in a shade hangar.

Remember, FD puts Neurform on their planes, Sensenich is an aftermarket choice.  I wouldn't deviate unless there was a really compelling reason to do it.

Sensenich came from the factory on some CTs. Experience from several members show small performance gains over the Neuform, and the Sensenich doesn't have to be overhauled every 1000 hours. At 1000 hours I have no idea why anyone would want to overhaul a Neuform when they could get a brand new Sensenich for a bit more money and never have to worry about that hassle again.

Remember, FD puts Neurform on their planes, Sensenich is an aftermarket choice.  I wouldn't deviate unless there was a really compelling reason to do it.

here is one...easy supply and replacement

american CTs are better with american props and european CTs are better with european props.

FDUSA try to have the more possible of american content in the plane.

when they started importing the CT, Sensenich was not even making props for the Rotax

but my first choice would be Whirlwind

http://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/ground-adjustable-aircraft-propellers/

Anyone have any pros or cons on color of the prop?  Maybe one color is more distracting than another in certain light conditions?  During my flight training, I flew a 2005 CTSW with a red 2 blade Neuform and at certain engine speeds and certain sun angles, the prop could be distracting.  Haven't noticed this with the white and black 3 blade Neuform on my CT.

I have had both on my CTLS. I ran the Neuform until the 1000hr inspection then bought a new 68" Sensenich and now have almost 400hrs on it.  I would say the Sensenich has a little better climb performance and about the same cruise.  The paint gets knocked off the Sensenich pretty easy but no apparent damage to the blades or metal leading edge, it just feels rough until you hit it with light sandpaper.  The Neuform survived fine for a 1000hrs of the same abuse though I did get some pretty good chips in the trailing edge of my Neuform and also some small cracks in the clear coat.  I have yet to send it in for inspection but is on my to do list to have a spare.

http://www.sensenich.com/products/item/103

Couple things that caught my eye:

The sensenich props are one piece, while the neuform (i believe) are two piece glued together.

Stainless steel leading edge to protect the blade.

Sensenich props DO have a 2000 hour inspection according to the manual. It must be taken off and sent to a servicing facility. It does not require overhaul, just inspection.

Eric, my Neuform only has 150hrs and it has a few small chips off the trailing edge also...any idea what causes this?  It seems an off place for chips to occur.

The trailing edge of the airfoil on the Neuform has a good bit of camber to it so I'm guessing a number of small rocks that get sucked up nail this part of the blade hanging out.

Archived