2013 Baja Whale Petting Trip

CT4ME

You might be able to petition the Mexican FAA for permission but I doubt they would grant it. There is certainly no blanket provision that allows SPL operations in Mexico. Where did you see that Mexico has changed its rules?

I'm skeptical. Prior to a few years ago, Pilot license always meant PPL and up. Mexico adheres to the ICAO standard, like Canada, which does not recognize SPL. You might get away with it, but I wouldn't go an hearsay from BajaBushpilots. Do you know of any SPL pilots who have flown to Mexico?

A sport pilot certificate carries the limitation "Holder does not meet ICAO requirements." http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/sport_faq.html

I've talked with SPs (with medicals) while I was there... couple of times. My experience is that they don't even look at the license, but just the copies you provide, along with copies of medical, insurance, etc.

Getting a straight answer is impossible. I've called the DGAC, and consulates, trying to find the person who can provide "prior authorization" as mentioned somewhere out there. No help anywhere.

'Not sure how ICAO-strict they are in Mexico. They've never asked me for the radio station license or radio operator license, both icao requirements. The Bush Pilots haven't heard of anyone being asked to provide them, nor any people I've talked with who've been flying there for 20 years.

There are a couple of airport commandantes that are on the BBP forum, I'll see if I can get them to comment.

Tim

Mexico is funny that way, for sure. You can get away with all sorts of things with the right attitude or some excess cash. Better be able to quote some precedents of people who have done it before in case you run into a stickler of a commandante. He could make life very hard for you otherwise which would mean expensive bribes or nightmarish penalties.

The US is just as weird... it seems each US Airport of Entry is free to make up their own rules... some require a phone call before you arrive, some don't. It even varies down to the personnel working at the time.

Oh well, it wouldn't be an "Adventure" without all the drama and uncertainty.

tim

Agreed...

Once again, the Baja Bush Pilots reiterated: "a Sport Pilot falls under the same regs and requirements as any other pilot which means that they can fly to Mexico as long as they also hold a medical". I haven't heard back from the other authority on Mexico/Caribbean flying, CaribbeanSkyTours. Another person put it this way "These are immigration guys, they only know Airman Certificate, with a name and number. The know nothing of ratings and endorsements. Single, multi, complex, rotor, sea... it's all the same to them. As long as the Name matches the other documents, they're OK with it". <=== not a legal argument, but makes sense from a practical standpoint.

tim

That makes sense. Legally Mexico should require an ICAO level license but a customs guy isn't going to figure that out. The bottom line is that if the Mexican authorities have a precedence of allowing SPL, then you should be fine, but the BBP argument, while practically correct, is legally wrong. SP explicitly does not follow the requirements of what ICAO considers a pilot license. So don't try it in Canada. They take the ICAO thing seriously.

Archived