Sharing the Bugaboos

C ICEY

Jos took off from Springbank, about an hour to the east. I took off in Nelson, an hour to the south. Somewhere over the sea of snowclad mountains we hooked up and began a short chase, exploring one of the most beautiful mountain massifs in the Canadian Cordillera.

This is a quick slideshow of the trip.

Welcome to the Bugaboos

you mean like besides shorts and a pair of sandals???? :) my bug hat and insect repellent are absent.

Imagine fully prepared....... and always knowing which valley to descend in the case of an emergency.

that said, the scenario of putting down up there isn't really in the cards unless there is a catastrophic structural failure or mid air. Improbable, and unlikely, IMO. "controlled" flight into terrain, and you wouldn't be worrying about the rescue anyways.

An engine out entails a glide into (relatively) more hospitable terrain, peaks are at 11,500, with lowest escape valley at 3000'. There are friendly heliski lodges with hot tubs one could always "drop in" to.

Warren Miller sold me on the Bugaboos decades ago, now you've done it again. As soon as i get some old-guy Obamacare replacement knees I'll have to come up. Last trip was to Valdez but that's kinda extreme, the Bugaboos look friendlier.

Thanks for the videos, I am humbled.

Jos took off from Springbank, about an hour to the east. I took off in Nelson, an hour to the south. Somewhere over the sea of snowclad mountains we hooked up and began a short chase, exploring one of the most beautiful mountain massifs in the Canadian Cordillera.

This is a quick slideshow of the trip.

Welcome to the Bugaboos

Thanks Mike!

Finally had a chance to watch it here in Houston. Awesome and thanks for chasing me around!!

Can't wait to see the videos!

you mean like besides shorts and a pair of sandals???? :) my bug hat and insect repellent are absent.

Imagine fully prepared....... and always knowing which valley to descend in the case of an emergency.

that said, the scenario of putting down up there isn't really in the cards unless there is a catastrophic structural failure or mid air. Improbable, and unlikely, IMO. "controlled" flight into terrain, and you wouldn't be worrying about the rescue anyways.

An engine out entails a glide into (relatively) more hospitable terrain, peaks are at 11,500, with lowest escape valley at 3000'. There are friendly heliski lodges with hot tubs one could always "drop in" to.

One of the things I am ALWAYS (seven sub-consciously) aware of is which way the valleys go downhill whenever I cross a ridge and where it leads to. That allows me at any time an immediate glide towards a more benign environment. The peaks are at around 10,000 to 11,000 feet and the valley is around 4500. That give you lots of distance to cover in case of engine trouble.

Archived