Garmin's new LSA & Homebuilt products

CT4ME

Garmin has created an engineering group, working separately, away from their other avionics product teams. Team X. These guys/gals have been given he authority to create a new line of products aimed at the LSA and Experimental crowd. That means innovative and less expensive products, that will offer some competition for Dynon. I don't have a Dynon or equivalent, but this stuff looks nice... Competition is a good thing.

Read more here: http://www.garmin.co.../sport-aviation

Tim

I was getting ready to spend some big money on a Dynon upgrade and decided to wait a few weeks to see what settles out. I'm going to do an upgrade, the question is with whom? I personally really like the GDL-39 because it has both frequencies in. I'm out where there are plenty of small jets going into untowered airports and I very much like the idea of having both frequencies. In other words, it's a backup if the ground station is out/blanked/poor reception - you name it.

I am still waiting to hear if there has been an LOA to do a permanent install on the GDL-39 and if anyone has done one. There are some audio issues with the connections that I would like to hear a solution for. I am also waiting to see if FD is going to allow the Skyview screen to rearrange the displays before I make a decision on the direction to take. Now maybe Garmin will offer something better.

Sure will be interesting to see where Garmin goes with this. I'm a big fan of the Skyview system. Dynon's support is great and the free software updates and map downloads makes for a pretty cost effective solution. When you also use the Dynon ADSB box and the mode S built in transponder you have a "subscription free panel" with WX, TIS and ADSB traffic. Will be curious to see if Garmin continues to charge for the updates (I bet they will, its a huge high margin revenue source for them now). Being able to update the Dynons by bringing a USB stick to the plane is very nice and easy. My Garmin 796 is always out of date (even with a subscription) because removing it to update every 28 days to bring it home is just a hassle. Still, Garmin is the "100 pound gorilla", if they want to dominate the space for LSA and EX they certainly can do it!

My Garmin 796 is always out of date (even with a subscription) because removing it to update every 28 days to bring it home is just a hassle.

I generally only update the Aviation db on my 496 before a long trip, and the Obstacles annually.

With Garmin's prices, it's just too expensive to keep everything up-to-date on that box.

Before our tip to Page, I did spend the $50 to update the 496 Aviation db. But I really tried to force myself to get runway and frequency and airspace information via WingXPro7 on my iPad, using the 496 for weather and altimeter settings and navigation and terrain and obstacles and the like. At $99/yr it's a much better deal.

Archived