Do you get the stick full aft when you land?

Ed Cesnalis

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get the stick full aft when you land?

• It is my target unless conditions are turbulent
    • I have done it but it is not normal
    • No

Just got back from a flight in my CTLS. I did my normal 15° landing. My approach was at 60 kts with power at idle. Nice long round out and flare with ample time to make adjustments. When I looked at the airspeed just after touch down it showed 41 kts which is pretty darn close to stall speed with 15° flaps. My stick was not all the way back at touch down, but I did keep it coming back. This would be a pretty normal landing for me.

post-40-0-42063300-1366496555_thumb.jpg

My dad built this airplane when I was pretty young. I never got a chance to fly it, but he said it was a real handful if you tried to three point it. I heard another very experienced pilot say that it scared him when he tried to three point it. He was getting ready to teach the new owner how to fly it.

Stall landing?. Tell that to a carrier jet. Or how about a Boeing 737 http://www.b737.org....ngtechnique.htm ?

Try to stall a P51 or a B17 and you will hit the deck like a cast iron bathtub thrown from an office building. The P51 crosses the threshold at 88 kts.

Flaring to level flight just over the threshold ANYWHERE near stall speed is asking for trouble, esp if there is, and usually is, a cross wind or an unexpected gust. The fun part is, its TOTALLY unecessary to tempt the landing in this way. Esp with 5000 feet of runway and the CT needs maybe 800 feet average, less than a quarter of that distance.

So why keep beating this into the ground? Let me guess.

To achieve level flight over the runway you "round out"

To slow to touchdown speed and to touchdown you "flare"

What is the point in bringing up carrier jets, P51s and B17s?

• 2 weeks later...

I did 3 landings just to observe what I do. Winds were variable with thermals. Approaches were not stable, 30 degrees targeting 55 kts, speed varrying 50-62kts. Approach angles were extremely steep once I exited the lift. Approaches and landings all at idle.

I do get the stick to the stop and at touchdown my IAS is 28kts. My 2nd landing was downwind and my ground speed was 62kts while I was 28 indicated.

If I keep the stick full aft till the nosewheel settles in about 5 seconds and I don't need very much braking at all.

I did 3 landings just to observe what I do. Winds were variable with thermals. Approaches were not stable, 30 degrees targeting 55 kts, speed varrying 50-62kts. Approach angles were extremely steep once I exited the lift. Approaches and landings all at idle.

I do get the stick to the stop and at touchdown my IAS is 28kts. My 2nd landing was downwind and my ground speed was 62kts while I was 28 indicated.

If I keep the stick full aft till the nosewheel settles in about 5 seconds and I don't need very much braking at all.

Pilot technique.

Thanks for sharing.

This.

A 28-30kt (airspeed) touchdown into a 15 kt headwind is a thing of beauty.

Stall landing?. Tell that to a carrier jet. Or how about a Boeing 737 http://www.b737.org....ngtechnique.htm ?

Try to stall a P51 or a B17 and you will hit the deck like a cast iron bathtub thrown from an office building. The P51 crosses the threshold at 88 kts.

Flaring to level flight just over the threshold ANYWHERE near stall speed is asking for trouble, esp if there is, and usually is, a cross wind or an unexpected gust. The fun part is, its TOTALLY unecessary to tempt the landing in this way. Esp with 5000 feet of runway and the CT needs maybe 800 feet average, less than a quarter of that distance.

So why keep beating this into the ground? Let me guess.

I don't know what training you had or will have, but my instructor was unmerciful in the teaching of short-field and engine-out landings. I was expected *at any time* to be able to put the plane down precisely, gently and in the shortest distance possible in the event of a real or simulated engine failure. He flies a B737 from the left seat for his real job and has forgotten more about flying than I'll ever manage to learn. I never questioned his reasoning. We never bent the airplane either.

Archived