STALL Landing

Bobby CAU

The point is still simple. SOME insist on stall landing. OTHERS want speed crossing the threshold. Personal preference. There are strong point to be made for either method. But those insisting on their way or the high way are obviously insecure about their approach.

Everybody wants speed crossing the threshold, the question is how much. I ask once before and I'll ask again at what speed do you touch down? That is the speed that should be near stall per the FAA.

• 2 years later...

That 747 was an airplane owned by National Airlines. This company's headquarters was at the field I fly out of, KYIP (Ypsilanti Michigan) and is now in Florida.  I talked to one of the young pilots who was killed in this accident about 2 months before this crash. Believe he was in his early 30's and was excited about being recently hired by National to fly their heavy jets. I didn't know him that well but feel bad about his death. The stall was causes by cargo that wasn't properly secured which shifted to the rear on takeoff.

Dick,

I'm very sorry for your friend and the others on board.

It wasn't just that the cargo shifted, it was that the cargo shifted and took out the controls. In other words, it was not a weight and balance issue. The plane was no longer flyable with any weight distribution.

Mike Koerner

I'm glad this necro-thread got dug up from the grave, mainly because it prompted me to view Bobby's landing again.

And my evaluation stands!

FastEddieB is one of those people who would sound arrogant as F if he said that about himself, but is awesome as F because instead he says it about everyone else.

BTW, the gbigs posts brought 100Hamburger to mind.

Anyone keep in touch? He apparently has not posted since Dec 20 of last year, and I'm curious as to how the Lancair build is going and if he's sold his CTLSi yet.

Eddie,

Last I looked, his plane was still on the market, with the price reduced.

I spoke with his wife a couple of times (nice woman), as I had considered their plane last year, and also spoke with them about their fuel trailer.  She said that they decided to purchase a new SR22T G5. (I'm waiting for the COPA reception. Ryan/David reloaded?)

Andy

Eddie,

Last I looked, his plane was still on the market, with the price reduced.

I spoke with his wife a couple of times (nice woman), as I had considered their plane last year, and also spoke with them about their fuel trailer. She said that they decided to purchase a new SR22T G5. (I'm waiting for the COPA reception. Ryan/David reloaded?)

Andy

Thanks, Andy!

I'm somewhat relieved they've decided against the Lancair build. Love to know what changed their minds and if they had actually invested in a build and how that went.

The price reduction seemed inevitable. You can't get too close to the price of a new plane without buyers starting to think, "For just x dollars more, I can get a brand new plane, complete with warranty". Anyway, at the right price it should be a sweet plane for the right person.

Will definitely look for him on COPA. An SR22T is still quite a leap from a Light Sport, but doable with the right training and, most importantly, the right attitude.

Good luck to them both.

Will definitely look for him on COPA. An SR22T is still quite a leap from a Light Sport, but doable with the right training and, most importantly, the right attitude.

I definitely think the SR22T is a better fit for him than the Lancair, but I'm surprised.  I thought he already had the airframe at the shop being built?  Maybe the time commitment and dollars involved got him thinking about factory airplanes.  He's a pretty particular guy, having a warranty he can use to get things fixed seems like it would more suit him than the "hands on" aspect of an experimental.

As you said, good luck to him, I hope he's happy with whatever he ends up flying. 

FastEddieB is one of those people who would sound arrogant as F if he said that about himself, but is awesome as F because instead he says it about everyone else.

An SR22T is still quite a leap from a Light Sport, but doable with ........ the right attitude.

Good luck to them both.

I wonder if FastEddieB was being as sarcastic as F, or just his usual kind self?   

Archived