CTLS price increases

Thanks John,

I think this graph is wrong.

Look at the 5,500RPM line at 0'DA it shows ~72KW or 96.55hp, sounds close at least

Now look at the same line at 7,500'DA it shows ~ 28KW or 37.54hp not even close, should be ~72hp. 7,500'DA is peak performance altitude for WOT 5,500 if it was down to 37hp you wouldn't be able to maintain altitude.

hp-vs-alt-ctlsi.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they even have the graph go to the equivalent of 22,500+ feet? A bit optimistic on their part. Maybe that's the performance if you drop a CT off the wing of a B-52 at that altitude...

You might be surprised how high a CT could fly if the pilot was on oxygen. A Taylorcraft set an altitude record for small aircraft back in the 40's of 24,311 on just 65hp.

The POH says the service ceiling of the CTLS is 12150 feet above which you only have a 100fpm climb capability. the CTLSi supplement says its service ceiling is the same as the CTLS.

It also says the max operational altitude is 13780 above which there is no climb capability.

So real world, who knows what you can really do. These are only numbers in a book. Conditions make those numbers different in both directions.

I personally crossed the Rockies a year ago this past weekend in an LS climbing to 14,000 with no problem. Was still climbing well but, I don't recall the rate at the moment. Strong enough to go higher if we wanted. We were also at ~gross weight. Didn't stay long, just wanted to see if she could do it. Immediately after going over the pass, descended to a safer altitude. Also spent some time at 11k+ on some of the hottest (and humid) days this summer flying to FD in woodstock. I have no doubts that higher is possible.

Archived