When is it legal to fly under a rainbow?

Ed Cesnalis

A rainbow is nothing more than water droplets and or an accumulation of moisture and I don't see how that alone would be dangerous or illegal to fly through. I googled it and can find any thing that would make be be wary of the FAR's or adverse flight characteristics.

Rainbow

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Rainbows)

For other uses, see Rainbow (disambiguation).

20px-Padlock-silver.svg.png

400px-Double-alaskan-rainbow.jpg

magnify-clip.pngDouble rainbow and supernumerary rainbows on the inside of the primary arc. The shadow of the photographer's head on the bottom marks the centre of the rainbow circle (antisolar point).

A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection of light in water droplets in theEarth's atmosphere, resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky. It takes the form of a multicoloured arc.

Rainbows caused by sunlight always appear in the section of sky directly opposite the sun.

In a "primary rainbow", the arc shows red on the outer part and violet on the inner side. This rainbow is caused by light being refracted while entering a droplet of water, then reflected inside on the back of the droplet and refracted again when leaving it.

In a double rainbow, a second arc is seen outside the primary arc, and has the order of its colours reversed, red facing toward the other one, in both rainbows. This second rainbow is caused by light reflecting twice inside water droplets.

A rainbow is nothing more than water droplets ...

Hmmmmmmmmmm, if it were not more than water droplets it shouldn't be so hard to catch up with? My CT goes 140mph and it seems I never get there.

donkeymotivation.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tumblr_mfv7t4j7tr1rmk9vho1_500.jpg

Roger, I never said it was unsafe or contrary to the FAR's. I don't even think the cloud clearances come into play like Fast Eddie said. My boys 10 and 15 know this. You live in a house facing the East side of a North South street and look out the window after an afternoon rain shower and see a rainbow. What window were you looking out of?

OK.

My post about cloud clearances was a (weak) joke.

I assume some of the other posts were as well.

Sarcasm is sometime difficult to both convey and recognize in the online world.

I did, honestly, one time start backing up more and more to get a rainbow fully in a photo. Took me a while to realize it was not helping.

A Homer Simpson D'oh moment, to be sure!

Archived