No longer a virgin!

FastEddieB

At least regarding having flown in a CT!

Yesterday, mocfly (Chris) suggested we fly to Lawrenceville, GA for an EAA pancake breakfast.

He made it into Copperhill with his son, but the ceilings were kinda marginal to the southeast - 700' overcast at KLZU, our destination. Discretion being the better part of whatever, we stayed local and grabbed breakfast in Copperhill.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to fly in a CT:

8924231079_81a3b2259f_z.jpg

Quick impression:

It seemed like a solid little platform. A tad heavier in ailerons than elevator or rudder, but still pretty nicely balanced.

The view from the right seat reminded me of a Cirrus, with the panel falling away asymmetrically on the right. No issue, but I can see how not seeing the nose clearly from either seat could be an issue for a beginner at first.

8924232137_e6e0b75cb9_z.jpg

Chris chose a no-flap landing (it was a little gusty), but still got a nice nose up touchdown.

Overall, nice fit and finish, comparable to my Sky Arrow I think and much better than some other Light Sports that I've flown. It actually had been a while since I've flown in a plane with a standard "T" on the panel - absolutely nothing wrong with that - got the job done for generations of pilots and can continue to do so into the future. Glass is nice, but hardly essential in a VFR airplane.

Me being me, I'd love to fly in it on a calmer day and play with 30º and 40º flap landings. That tail fin really hangs down there, so I'd maybe want to play with "full stall" landings with someone standing by the runway and confirming tail clearance. Usually flaps help immensely in that area - literally dragging the tail is more of a concern with less flaps in most planes.

Anyway, I owe Chris a Sky Arrow ride and maybe we'll play around with various landing configurations on a nicer day.

Oh, and Chris' son, also Chris, and Karen bonded immediately as kindred spirits. I have a hunch we'll be seeing more of them in the future!

For me, landing with flaps is a big part of the CTSW experience. Some others are the roll rate, nice cruise speed and maneuverability.

This. A well-executed soft-field landing into 15 knot headwind is a thing of beauty in a CT.

1A0 where Ed is stationed is a great little airport at ~1800 ft. elevation that kinda sits in a valley. Flying due east from Chattanooga at our altitude it was difficult to see as it sits behind a tree line. It is a great little airport with a location to match. I'm sorry I filled up in Chat as the self serve prices were great.

Knowing Ed was a CT virgin I let him take control of the aircraft to get a feel for our CT and was immediately impressed by the coordination shown during a few high bank turns. Truly a pro.

Located a few minutes from the Ocoee River which is on of the best whitewater rivers in the US we will definitely be back. Heck we may even make it a monthly trip.

Oh yeah I am really looking forward to a flight in the Sky Arrow.

If your ever in the area this is truly a place to stop.

This. A well-executed soft-field landing into 15 knot headwind is a thing of beauty in a CT.

This is true.

I'm not going to start a debate/ thread/opinion poll about landing our aircraft. Suffice to say that I use the landing configuration I feel the airport conditions dictate. Returning to Chattanooga winds had picked up and were 10 gusting 17 with a direction change of 150-250. No Flaps.

Yesterday, mocfly (Chris) suggested we fly to Lawrenceville, GA for an EAA pancake breakfast.

If ya'll are going to try to make it to another pancake breakfast at KLZU and wouldn't mind company let me know. I'm getting instruction about 200 yds from where the EAA chapter at KLZU meets, and went to the breakfast last month. It'd be great to meet some CT pilots (and a Sky Arrow pilot). I'm sure Andy (MrMorden) will also come along (we both live in Athens).

Maybe deserves its own thread, but...

...there's a Swift convention going on in Athens now (KMMI, May 5 thru 8).

http://swiftmuseumfoundation.org/

Weather permitting, Karen and I will be flying over in the Sky Arrow with two other planes.

I'll let you guys know when we have an ETA.

And re: the prior post, Karen and I are always looking for any excuse to fly!

Maybe deserves its own thread, but...

...there's a Swift convention going on in Athens now (KMMI, May 5 thru 8).

http://swiftmuseumfoundation.org/

Weather permitting, Karen and I will be flying over in the Sky Arrow with two other planes.

I'll let you guys know when we have an ETA.

And re: the prior post, Karen and I are always looking for any excuse to fly!

Love flying the Swift! Wish I was closer. Last one I flew had a 210hp Cont and sticks, what a blast!

Archived