Wind direction bug

Doug G.

I am not sure why I started doing this, but whenever I am taking off or landing and I have a wind direction, I set the heading bug to it. It helps me be aware of the wind, not only when I am landing, but when I am taxiing. Does anyone else do this?

I know a number of pilots who fly out of complicated, busy airports who set the take-off runway direction on their heading bug as soon as it is assigned. It provides one last check before starting the takeoff roll. The bug better be straight up.

A person who intended to fly IFR might set the heading bug to the missed approach fix or course if one is given.

John, yes, it pretty much does blow all the time. Maybe that's why it was important.

Jim, I knew that most people use the heading bug for the runway. I suppose in a complicated environment I might also. (9-27 and 18-36 are pretty easy.) Most of the places I fly aren't that complicated. Even so, I'd still do it on landing at least.

I use a kneeboard so I write the runway and taxi info down. (Even at home.)

I use it for landing runway heading to help me keep downind and base square, but I like wind direction too as a use for it. A lot of glass panels show you wind direction so its easier to keep track of than it used to be.

Well, I can't not say something. Surprise.

Setting a bug for base leg - a couple of reactions. First, flying little VFR airplanes in good weather, our heads in the pattern should be outside the cockpit looking for NORDO such as gliders, ultralights, crop dusters, helicopters and the guys flying a long straight in who are still talking to center. Secondly, the square pattern base turn is for a hypothetical turning point in the sky to make a notional square corner that is not even best flying practice, only the slavish adherence to a theoretical FAA drawn schematic. The worst thing about flying "on instruments" in the pattern is that the pattern is a ground reference maneuver. After some practice, we should almost be able to tell by engine and cockpit sound what the airplanes speed is. The rest of our attention, aside from short panel checks, should be outside judging wind direction and speed, when to turn and what crab or slip to apply.

Few patterns will ever be identical, except notionally, We don't turn "at the tree, the windmill, the intersection" we turn when we judge that our pattern will bring us to touchdown where we want. We may have a short downwind. We may put a lot of crab in on base. We may round the corners a little, such as by rolling out frequently to check for straight-in traffic if we are in a low wing.

I guess what we are really discussing is the use of instruments to enhance situational awareness when in fact they are detracting from our more basic ways of maintaining situational awareness. They put our eyes and brains in the cockpit when they are better employed looking around and picturing in our mind - nay, even sensing the airplane -

OK, OK, I'm not starting a rant, just suggesting that sometimes these little tricks may trick us more than they help us.

Jim,

You made me look at my video.

Watch from 2:45 to 3:15 as I prepare for and execute my turn to base I re-position my head for a look at the pattern 15 times. I mostly look at my airspeed, wind direction, vertical speed and if set my heading bug, but I don't focus on the panel.

Jim, in a highwing airplane on a left downwind at an unfamiliar airport I find it very helpful to use the heading bug to plan my rollouts. I agree with your concept though that too much time is spent focused on the panel, especially with today's panels. I've often thought all new students would benefit if their first 10 hours of flight instruction were in a supercub, with no radio, and the panel covered up. Just seeing, feeling and hearing.

In a highwing airplane on a left downwind, I am constantly shallowing the bank on turns from base to final to check the runway position. That plus timing makes rollout pretty easy and consistent. One can see everything up to the 45° point on downwind, if one wants to make the square base corner and winds are not a factor.

In my experience, most pilots have a very finely developed sense of geometry. That is, they can sense, even if they can't articulate, how the wind affects them in the pattern. If they think they need to fly square corners and legs of a give length, they will be constantly fiddling with pitch, power, flaps and everything else to "make it work". If you tell them that patterns are a ground reference maneuver and they should "obey the ground" (fly the airplane so it is where they want to be on the ground) they will do better. Once they figure out the wind, they will automatically know to turn some corners early, others late, fly a little tighter or with more crab or whatever. Every one of us has had the sense of being too (something) when we try to stuff the school maneuvers into the real world.

One approach is the student tells me on downwind where the wind is. The student tells me if he has to add a crab angle to the downwind and if it affects where he will turn base (shore or long). Again on base, the student tells what the wind is doing and how he compensates - often some kind of crab and maybe an earlier or steeper or slower and shallower turn to final. Again on final, crab or slip, making the touchdown spot, and any likely mechanical turbulence from the wind blowing across trees, hangars, etc. I fly into some tree lined fields and one has to be ready to compensate when the wind suddenly almost dies. You can predict ahead of time where it will be.

Anyway, I agree that some time in an old, simple plane is good. Also, go up with an instructor and turn the electronic instruments off or perhaps put a towel over them. Every student should do a couple of patterns that way. They find out the airplane will fly without an air speed indicator and artificial horizon! Zwounds!

Anyway, OK, I'm not going to beat this up - simple glad to see some various perspectives.

I use the bug for wind direction as well. I have been using the wind bug for 20 plus years mainly because if my engine decides to stop checking for wind direction will be one less thing I have think about in a time limited situation. I guess it is just a comfort factor for me. Hope I never have to use for that.

Some of the garmin equipment, like to 696 will display the extended centerline of many airports. I glance at that info to help understand where conflicting traffic SHOULD be coming from, as well as where I am expected, by other to be. This is helpful approaching a (new to me airport) especially where active intersectrioin runways are in use. This is also helpful when landmarks are unknown. I will set bug on departure heading before I roll on takeoff, or when given heading by ATC for any reason.

Farmer

Archived