New Student Pilot - Just saying hi!

Thanks Emini, FYI CTLSi used to go by gbigs you can look through the Forum to find his conversations.

I will tell you that I am a relative rookie having had my Sport license for about 1.5 years ( learned in a Skycatcher), got my LSRM-A last September, and have owned my 2010 CTLS for about a year.

I ask a lot of questions and there are a lot of folks here with tons of experience. They don't always agree, but there is a ton of info even in the disagreements. Most of them are willing to help out via PM or a phone call if you need more help or detail.

Well Doug, that just prompted yet ANOTHER NEWB question.. What is LSRM-A ??

I very much appreciate EVERYONES input. I really do. I have learned quite a bit from this forum already. Already emailing Erik and PM'ng another one... Hopefully, maybe, one day, we'll all meet up when I have a plane, and a license :) :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An LSRM-A is a LightSport Repairman with a Maintenace rating for an Airplane. It is the 120 hr. maintenance course usually attended in Corning, CA.

1-2 other locals around the US during specific times of the year.

You will need an LSRM-A or an A&P to work on your plane. You can do any preventative work that is listed in the FAR's.

Getting your RLSM-A isn't cheap. You would need to add Rotax school in there too. It is good knowledge to have the only problem is that if you don't see enough CT's or Rotax engines then you may really struggle to know much about your own plane if that's the only LSA you ever work on. I see about 30 LSA a year so I have been very fortunate in that respect which has taught me much about CT's and Rotax engines. I did work on Rotax before my time with FD and I have been to several Rotax schools.

The school was 4$k several years ago and the Rotax schools are about $800 each and you need at least two of them. I did it for the purpose of doing my own, and only my own, maintenance. I did do someone's annual once but then he had an accident and made noises about maybe a maintenance issue. Nothing came of it but that was enough for me.

I have done all my own work for 6 years now, often with advice from Roger. I am glad I did this but Roger is right about the problems of only seeing one plane. There are things I am trained to do but won't do for that reason. If those ever come up, and they will, I'll take it to someone who does that kind of work frequently.

yaeh i could see myself doing my own maintenance one day.. Sold all my toys earlier in the year.. no Vette, no boat... building the lady and the kids a new house..So I told them I dont want any pushback when I get my plane :) its my only toy.. but definitely see renting a hangar and doing my own work.. gets me out of the house. and with 3 kids.. i need to get out of the house!!

It really helps to have some mechanical experience and is extremely helpful to have folks like Roger and some of the others on this forum. The school cost about $4k last year and included the initial Rotax certification. I plan on another Rotax class this year.

I only work on my own plane but feel I have made about half of that back in the things I have done in the first year. If you buy a brand new machine it will probably take a bit longer.

Archived