Adequate Refueling Ground?

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her clothes material and shoes may have played a part in this. Even after it flashed all she had to do was cut off the oxygen from the tank because it was too rich to burn down inside and the nozzle when it shut off took care of it self. Even this wouldn't have burnt your plane down. Plus you should have an extinguisher at hand any way.

Just don't let this girl refuel your plane. :P

Her clothes material and shoes may have played a part in this. Even after it flashed all she had to do was cut off the oxygen from the tank because it was too rich to burn down inside and the nozzle when it shut off took care of it self. Even this wouldn't have burnt your plane down. Plus you should have an extinguisher at hand any way.

Just don't let this girl refuel your plane. :P

Always young people too. Older people consistently use at least one hand to brace themselves with the door frame as they exit a car.

I use a fuel trailer with a 13gal/min pump. I went ahead and upgraded my equipment. Not cheap but I got a 20' Reel to bolt to my fuel trailer and an alligator clip to bond to my CT. I also got a coiled ground that plugs into the reel and clamps onto the hangar.

RSGR.jpg

RAC.jpg

My old equipment was homemade and too light duty. This stuff costs ~$500

http://www.gndzero.com/grounding_mech_ground_clamps.php

I would like to have a trailer, but I am certain the airport/FBO would not like it. The other option would be a tank in my pickup, but it is a short box and I don't want to take up that much since it gets used for other things. Guess I'll stick to my tough jugs.

My hangar in Copperhill is about 2 years old.

It was built with a central grounding point, recessed into the floor:

9192918516_549fa5486a_c.jpg

And a grounding cable:

9192919146_6d64ae27cd_c.jpg

BTW, I do ground my Sky Arrow before filling it from plastic jugs. I have done so in the hangar up to now, but this thread has probably convinced me to at least wheel it out of the hangar each time.

Just thinking about this issue. Does anyone have a problem using a metal dip stick for measuring the fuel in their tanks. It would seem that this would have the same issues. I am beginning to think that the issue here is power equipment, devices that use fuel hoses, and vehicles that have tires. (Yes, clothing can have an effect, but bonding does not eliminate that.) Metal cans have been used since the beginning of aviation. There are many pictures of WWII planes being fueled from 50 gal. drums with hand crank pumps - no bonding in sight. Is it safer, I suppose, kinda like taking your shoes off at the airport though. It seems with cans or jugs reasonable precautions are sufficient.

That's a convenient and cost effective solution. 15 gal / min fills a wing in ~ 1 min. I don't have a meter so I have learned to count seconds 'one thousand one, one thousand two'.

You want a bonding cable for sure, one in a reel would be cool but expensive. The next line of defense would be a cable to ground as well. I notice fuel trucks don't use those anymore just the bond to the aircraft. With your truck on rubber tires I don't think your tank is grounded.

Mogas is our solution today but 93 ethanol free is something I will pay extra for.

If we get 93 octane things will likely be OK, but if we just got an additional 87 octane (would handle nearly all STC'd engines) and 91 octane for Rotax, we might have some stale fuel, if any is worried. The gas station is very unlikely to ever get stale.

• 1 month later...

You want a bonding cable for sure, one in a reel would be cool but expensive.

I know this is an old thread, but...

I had a reel-type extension cord in my old hangar.

One time I hooked up too many space heaters to it, and upon blowing the outlet's breaker, I discovered it had melted internally and shorted.

So, I cut off the female end, twisted the three wires together and screwed on a large alligator clip. Did the same to the plug end and clamped that to a good hangar ground. No reason why this would not be a cheap(er) solution to a reeled bonding cable.

Anyway, works for me!

Archived