EGT drops way down at mid-rpm

Znurtdog

Hi Jon,

(Thanks for the name, now I don't have to call you znurt ;):D )

From what I can tell you have poor grounding. I was looking at all the instruments. You have 5 ground points to tighten and or add an additional ground like what was demo in the maint. section.

p.s.

I would also reset the upper value on the fuel pressure and the lower limit value on the EGT's.

Roger, thanks for the help. I will try to find a post listing the 5 ground points and give that a whirl. Since this video we have set the Dynon to 'Rotax' so some of the values may be more in line with your suggestions now. We also found the air line disconnected to the Left carb. The nipple on that thing is tiny and the hose was only zip-tied on and had come off. The hose was also so short there was not enough to cut the ends off for a 'fresh' start. In addition we balanced the carbs too. New air hose will be installed manana and will report back. Thanks again, Znurt :P:D

With the air line from airbox to carb replaced and the carbs balanced, she runs like a dream now. All indications stay in the green and act normally. I also tightened up the ground leads, the one at the battery took about 2 full turns. Thanks for the suggestions.

Did you tighten at least 5 grounds especially the one that goes through the firewall to the main ground block?

When you sat airline are you talking about the air intake tube that feeds air to each carb or the small tube that fits over a tiny fitting on the side of the carb?

Yes, Roger, the air intake tube to the tiny nipple. To tighten the firewall bolt, is it necessary to access the other side nut?

CTLSi, the max temp was ok, it was that the egt was dropping off the cool side of the guage at mid-rpms. The other warning light that was going off in the video was high fuel pressure, and that has been better since the fix as well.

Hi Jon,

yes you have to access the bolt that goes through the firewall from the engine side and the inside of the instrument panel on the passenger side. Just pop that panel off and look straight back and you'll see the grounding block and the large bolt and nut. Tighten them nice and tight. Then double check the 4 smaller screws too. This bolt is a common offender, but once tightened well it rarely ever gets loose again.

It may or may not help, but a product called Stabilant 22 is popular in the Cirrus community to deal with bad connections.

Coincidentally, EGT probe connections were often the issue that Stabilant 22 addressed.

Just a drop or so is all that's needed, so a little goes a long way.

http://www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html

Archived