K&N air filter need help

procharger

• 4 weeks later...

One time I tried a K&N in an airhead BMW.

Went out and did back to back timed roll-ons. Zero measurable difference.

Unless the stock filter setup is especially lousy, I would not expect any noticable performance gain.

BTW, my plane came with a JR Filter that seems very similar in concept to the K&N. Just wash and lube it annually and it's good to go.

Stock photo:

FR-08001-2.jpg

In my 1991 Dodge Stealth Turbo. there was (is) an outfit in Texas that dyno'd some performance enhancements they sold. Their induction kit, which included the K&N, was good for 12 HP on my 300HP engine. But that was more than just a filter. I remember they said the filter alone was good for 6 HP.

So, using a direct relationship of 6HP/300HP = xHP/100HP (which probably doesn't apply here) you get a 2 HP increase for the CT. Since we never turn the 5800 RPM needed to generate 100 HP, the increase is even less.

So, convert to K&N but don't do it for power.

K&N 33-2092

Fits a VW Jetta

buy it not for the power increase as it is too small to see, but because it cost less now than the Mann paper filter and breaths easier which in turn can help bring down high EGT temps and other engine temps. A more restrictive air filter can cause some leaning which will raise temps. This filter should be a one time buy over the paper filter and should last the life of the engine so long as you don't ruin it.

Even with individual filters you still keep the metal cross over balance tube. One filter can work for both carbs so long as an Mfg doesn't downsize too much for the air flow. Up to a point the bigger verses smaller is better. I saw one LSA with dual K&N air filters right from the factory that were ridiculously too small. They should have been on my lawnmower. I replaced them.

I am a little wary of K&Ns. Maybe they are OK for airplanes since they are not on the ground very long, but I have a friend who was a Ford master mechanic for a local car dealer and he said the K&Ns don't seem to filter very well. He said he saw many examples where the turbos on diesel pickups failed with K&N filters in place. It appeared the compressor wheel vanes were eroded by particles passing through the filter, which thinned the vanes to failure. This is all anecdotal, but it was based on his observations at the dealership. He recommended not to buy a vehicle that had K&N filters. Ok, my flame suit is on...

All the LS's come with K&N's. When oiled properly it will do a better job. the problem with too many people is they are all better experts than K&N. Too many have listened to the rumor mill and heard not to put any opil on. Bad idea. Others think that if a little oil is good a lot should be better. Another bad idea. Do what the K&N Mfg wants ans instructs how to take care and you should not have any issues. K&N have been around since the 1960's and must be used on almost anything with an engine or air intake system. I used to not be a believer, but with enough real life experience I do like them. There are many filters that work just fine

and sometimes and depending on the type of service it's like Chevy's and Ford's. You tend to like one, but not the other, but they both seem get you where you're going.

Below is some info about them.

http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/knhistory.htm

If it was the same mechanic that advised me about my Ford F350's coolant being blown out of the reservoir then it's time to change dealers, which I did.

Glenn,

That's the general position of the BMW motorcycle owners.

You get more flow at the expense of larger particles passing through, it would seem.

As a control, when I compared the K&N with the factory pleated paper element on my R100GS, I also tried a run sans filter.

Guess what? No measurable difference.

For the most part, factory specified filters flow air just fine. If significant hp gains could be had so simply and easily with no downside, don't you think they'd do it?

The big benefit with the K&N or washable filters is there re-use for the life of the engine as a rule. Any HP gain is too little to talk about, but many have seen lower temps depending on the type of service it was put into and the issues before the new filter install. One of our own had a Jabiru 3300 engine with high EGT's I told him to toss the paper filter and use the K&N. The EGTs on all 6 cyl. dropped by 120F-140F. In that particular instance it made a significant difference. Before I would listen to a bunch of forum people or either engine owners I would do my homework and research all the filters, paper and re-usable. See what the testing and real time research by labs have actually shown. I rarely listen to an individual that makes huge claims either good or bad because 95% of the time their wrong.

Research, research, research. It's all on the web now days.

Archived