CTLS accident

Patrnflyr

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would he know he had no fuel flow ? i presume a dynon type display with flow indicator if the engine had stopped through ice or other fault would this not show no flow ? am i right in thinking the CT LS has mechanical and electric fuel pumps it would be unlikely they both failed

Mike

After you land next time pull the cowl off and grab a carb. Hold it as long as you can. (maybe a second or two)

The pilot stated that he lost fuel flow and icing wouldn't actually cause that. Carb ice in a variable throat carb is less likely to happen than a standard fixed throat carb, but it can happen. It happens more often in the UK verses places like our Southwest US states because of the right conditions existing more often. Cool temps around 70F +/- and water saturated air. Many carbs don't get very hot because of their location and cowling setup, but a CT's carbs get quite hot.

You can't have a fuel flow loss if only one carb is affected. They would both need to be totally blocked to loose total fuel flow.

The LS and SW only have the mechanical pump. If the engine stops there would not be any fuel flow, but at that point it would be a mute point. Even if the mechanical pump failed there would still be fuel flow and the engine won't quit. It would still run at a reduced rpm. I believe either the pilot or the NTSB has missed some fact(s). Running an engine for 2 min.for a test is a joke. It can run that long on just the fuel in the fuel lines and or carb bowls.

No pressure No flow pretty much the same thing !

taken from the NTSB report

"The engine responded to throttle inputs during the operational test run with the electric fuel pump in the OFF position. Additional examination of the fuel system filter, gascolator bowl, and the two carburetor bowls revealed no particulate or water contamination. The postaccident examination did not reveal any mechanical or fuel system anomalies that would have prevented normal engine operation."

Yes I agree it kooks like someone didn't look very hard or was a bit slap dash when they wrote it , it makes you wonder what else was missed

Mkke

Its hard not to suspect the report when it includes a test with a non-existent fuel pump off.

Archived