Removing Right Side Stick

FlyingMonkey

In another thread, Roger mentioned that it's easy to remove the bolt for the right side joystick, and there is a connector for the PTT wiring there as well. He also mentioned using a Clevis pin to replace the bolt if one wished to be able to add/remove the stick often and quickly. I assume he meant something like this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Clevis-Pin-2XAJ5?Pid=search

My question is: what is the correct size pin to use, in both length and diameter, to get a good fit and minimize any play in the stick?

The word "assuming" is why it needs to be an approved modification, or performed by an A&P, or an LSRM-A.

Or so I would assume!

Well, any schlup can put in a pin and stir the stick to check for interference, but I know what you are saying. But this was suggested by Roger Lee in another thread, I'm not sure if the aircraft in question is a ELSA or SLSA. I'd certainly like to be able to pull the stick to give my wife some more leg room on longer trips.

There have been fatalities from a standard screw clamp holding an exhaust pipe in place, not allowing play in the joint, leading to fracturing of the header, igniting fuel, and so on.

Or screws of the wrong length being used in a panel, interfering with control movement.

Or mixing and matching bolts and washers and nuts of different materials, leading to internal corrosion (dissimilar metal corrision) which remained unseen until the boot failed and the wing was shed.

Lots of things like this are done everyday without incident, but every once in a while a seemingly benign mod or parts substitution can and will have deadly effects.

Not preaching, just a head's up.

Archived