Aux Fuel pump

Rich

Good morning--------Does anyone know how long it takes for the aux fuel pump to return a 912 back to operating RPM after a main pump failure?------------Also, does anyone know why my enter key will not work on this forum? That's the reason for the dashed lines, I cannot separate paragraphs. It worked a week ago------------Rich

The aux fuel; pump should give you almost instant rpm increase. It might lag a second, but should be right there. It takes very little pressure for the 912 to run so even before the pump would hit its max pressure rpm would already have returned.

The return button function issue is on your computer.

Roger,----------Thanks for the info on the pump.------------I had the computer checked and tuned up yesterday but the problem is still there.-----------Andy, no numeric key pad on my computer. I'll give another call to try and get it resolved.--------------Rich

Back on point...

...I do not know the exact time interval between the engine stopping from lack of fuel until engine restart with the application of the boost pump.

But there will be some finite time interval. Why? The boost pump needs to both fill empty fuel lines, and then to fill both float bowls, or at least get enough fuel in them to provide a usable fuel/air mixture to the engine.

My guess is a few seconds, or possibly more.

One important thing to remember is a geared engine like the ROTAX is more likely to simply stop when deprived fuel or spark than a more conventional engine. Those are more likely to windmill, ready to start back up as soon as fuel or spark is renewed. So don't forget about the possible need to utilize the starter in a ROTAX to get things going again. It may seem obvious if you're looking at a stopped prop*, but under stress it's very easy to overlook the obvious.

*In my Sky Arrow (pusher configuration) I can't see the prop, so I might have little clue (other than maybe some instrument indications) whether my prop was stopped or windmilling.

Archived