WingX Pro7 version 7 released

CT4ME

To keep things in perspective...

You can get a full windows 8.1 '2 in 1' for as low as $350.

To keep things in perspective, the non-retina iPad, a perfectly usable device, starts at $299.

Of course, that's 16gb with no 4g, both of which add to the price, but its not like iPads are orders of magnitude more expensive or anything.

Still, I'm sure the other tablets out there are perfectly fine as well.

There is Windows-based EFB software out there, but seems to be old-school mentality and very expensive. WingX was originally done in pseudo-windows environment, pocket PC, but Hilton w/WingX said they would watch the Surface market before any consideration was given to converting to that platform.

'Not sure that having Windows and a tablet EFB is a realistic option at this time.

Tim

Yes, I meant running app to use windows. My tablet "wants" list has Wi-Fi, GPS an 64 GB storage. Believe one must go top end 4G iPad to get this and this puts cost for iPad at $800+. Believe Android tablet with these attributes is much less. I can't keep up on what's what. Just when I feel Android/Google is getting developers onboard with Jellybean and Ice Cream Sandwich, I read today that Samsung Galaxy is considering dropping Google's to-be-released KitKat OS and will now team with Firefox/Mozilla to come up new OS for 2014! Excellent example of why Apple is so popular due to their relatively stable OS that gives developers long, high volume runs for their software.

Got it.

I just spent $729 for an iPad Mini Retina with 4g and 64gb - a lot of money.

Then again, I remember paying $1,275 for a Garmin 295 that was a one-trick-pony.

In that light, these do-it-all tablets are a screaming bargain. Choice is a good thing as well.

I'm happy in the Apple ecosystem, but I can understand why others are looking at the competition, and not just on price.

As an aside, about 90% of our TV viewing is now via our AppleTV - since we cut the cord its either that or DVD's from Netflix.

. . . "MotionX has a couple of products, one specifically for driving... GPS Drive." . . .

I have been using GPS Drive on my iPhone 4 for the last 3 years and it is nothing short of awesome.

It is very reasonable and does a great job.

Highly recommend it.

'Not sure that having Windows and a tablet EFB is a realistic option at this time.

Tend to agree at this time.

It will be interesting if aviation developers begin to focus on Windows 8.x (not Windows RT) as true Windows tablets are being released in droves recently. I've been an iPad owner since the first week of the iPad 1 and am very happy with the platform. But in the end, it's the tablet form factor that works for me. I still have to have a laptop to do 'real work'. I'd prefer one device and these '2 in 1' Windows machines are coming close to working for me.

Dave, maybe Mr. Softee isn't too late for dinner. Agree with your "2 in 1" preference. I do so much with MS software for non-aviation stuff that I'd hate to spend major bucks for a dedicated aviation tablet only to see one come along from MS that might do both. I've waited this long, guess I'll hold off a few more months to see what direction the Window tablets are heading. If Samsung Galaxy drops Google OS and heads off in another direction, this will be a deal killer for me.

There are apps for Android that allow you to use MS Office documents so I guess it depends on what you want to do. I use spreadsheets, and docs. Drop Box works well and as do pdf files. I also use Evernote which coordinates among my Win 8.2 machines and my Android machines. (I keep a fuel log, to do lists, etc. on Evernote.)

As far as Samsung, I would be a bit surprised if they carry through with abandoning Android unless they try market it elsewhere first. I don't think there is enough room for another system - MS is kinda proving that. A real uphill climb on the apps. It would be a deal breaker for me too.

I had a Cirrus with a full-function autopilot.

Barely had to touch the controls from right after takeoff to right before landing.

Certainly nice to have in a plane like that.

But I'd think long and hard before adding one to a Light Sport. It will add a level of complexity and a whole 'nother set of things to go wrong and troubleshoot, just so you can let go of the controls once in while.

But that's obviously just one man's opinion - a lot here will opine they're well worth the added weight and complexity.

That's what makes the world go 'round!

Just when I feel Android/Google is getting developers onboard with Jellybean and Ice Cream Sandwich, I read today that Samsung Galaxy is considering dropping Google's to-be-released KitKat OS and will now team with Firefox/Mozilla to come up new OS for 2014! Excellent example of why Apple is so popular due to their relatively stable OS that gives developers long, high volume runs for their software.

Dick, I believe you're referring to the open source project Tizen which is being supported by Samsung, Intel, the Linux Foundation and others. Good news is that Android apps run on Tizen unchanged and at equivalent performance using technology from Open Mobile. Open Mobile is working to have their technology included natively Tizen-based products.

Samsung is pushing pretty hard and is running a Tizen Best App contest with the winner getting $4M. I'd expect low end devices sometime in mid-Q1 next year. TVs sometime after that. A couple car manufacturers may include Tizen as well. My Infiniti runs Android :)

IMHO. What does this mean to the average consumer? Not much. Pick the platform and form factor that have the apps you want. There will always be something cooler on the horizon.

I tend to work on a (perceived) need basis. I have only owned a smartphone for about a year. I bought it because there is no Wi-Fi at my hangar and I wanted access to weather, airport info, Rotax and FD info, etc.

(Can't figure out why, but my wife doesn't perceive my needs the same way I do, although she got an S3 the same time I did... she claims my phone is smarter than hers. (-: )

Dave, Tizen is the mfg. mentioned in the article. Thanks for giving better definition for this.

Andy, I'm currently running Garmin 495 with TruTrak auto pilot and have same thoughts as you. Eddie's point about using A/P on LSA is accurate for most LSA but the CT is one of a few LSA's that are X/C cruisers capable of long legs and having A/P is useful on my plane. We went to Sebring a couple years ago and it was nice to set the A/P, enjoy the view and look at charts. Even made a few calls with my cell phone on my Bose A20 h'set. My plan is to keep 495 to run A/P and not go in and stir up the wiring doing any major upgrades. I'll get weather and traffic if I ever figure out which ADS-B in/out works with which tablet!

Archived