Spar Pin Change

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I like to use the angled fronts of the spar pins to hang my headsets, it's just a nice natural spot for them where they don't get in the way and don't scratch the windshield. However, on my plane, the spar pins have a little downward angle on them, so the headsets just slide off.

Is there any issue with loosening the spar pin caps enough to change the angle of the pins to a slight up angle to retain the headsets, then re-tightening the caps? If it's okay, is there a specific torque value for the caps or just "tight but not over tight"? I know the spars hold the pins in shear, so the caps are mainly there to retain the pins in the spar holes.

Thanks!

Not an issue. Loosen the pin caps and just turn the pin handle to where you want it. Then torque the cap screws to 200 in/lbs. If you didn't have a torque wrench really snug would work. This isn't a critical part. The cap only keeps the pin from backing out. That said there is so much pressure on the pin I would be surprised if it could come out on its own.

I started to put them there, but they were always getting knocked down getting in and out. I went to Ace hardware and bought a couple of plastic self sticking hooks for the back of the bulkhead just to the inside of each seat. They are stored out of the way coming and going.

Archived