Never Jump Start a CTLS with a Weak or Dead Battery ???

Steven

I think both the amount and the complexity of the regs is a major drag on growing the pilot population.

I'm a pretty conservative and safety-minded pilot, but wonder if it's even possible to make a long flight without violating at least one FAR.

If I was just starting out, I think I might be discouraged by the whole mess.

Just sayin'.

Do you remove your top cowling every time you pre-flight? Miss an item on the check list? Have improper tire pressure? Turn your switches on or off in a different order than the AOI? You could be cited! Sounds like they could get us all of they choose to.

Welcome to the FAA's realm.

If they want you, they WILL get you. The courts may or may not uphold some of the FAA's rulings, but they have more money than any of us. Armies of lawyers will constantly throw things until something sticks. It is just a matter of time.

Anyways I am not here to throw around the FAA's rulebook. I just wanted to point out some technical documentation to help people understand how their airplanes work.

With that, I do recommend that everyone take the time to read their airplane's maintenance manuals. There's so much in there that is useful. The AOI/Pilot manual tells you how, the MM tells you why.

• 7 years later...

This post came back from the dead!

Sharing an experience. Had a dead battery in a piper cherokee. Got the airplane jump started and kept running it on the ground getting it charged.

The ammeter suddenly went wonky, so I shut it down and smelled something strange.

The battery partially melted internally from the lengthy charge time at almost 60 amps and began boiling off.

That's when I found out about the rule of thumb about a battery safe charge rate is 1C, where C is the draw required to empty the battery of useful charge in 1 hour. The battery spec is 23 amp hours, i was pushing almost 3 times that.

Don't jumpstart a dead battery, and know your 1C rating.